• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote support software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I have sentiens for that.

HTH
    You what?

Comment

Do what I do. Make a complete balls up and leave their PC worse than it was. Never get bothered again.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        You what?
        I think I meant sentinels. You know remote little bots.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Now get back on topic you tit.
          How rude.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Can you remote fix problem with server that crashed and stuck in BIOS waiting for F1 to be pressed?
            Yes, no probs. You need RIB (lights out) cards fitted. Remote in and away you go. I know an old sever that does this ad-hoc F1 thing and I just remote to it and charge my old client an hour for doing so. Best of all with a mini laptop it can be done from anywhere.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

it dawns on me that some sort of remote desktop software a la web ex, gotomypc etc etc is in order.
              Do you want something that you install when you are there so that you don't have to go back, or something the user does to initiate the connection?

(I assume the latter would be of little use since the PC must be knackered in some way.)

I leave TightVNC running on every PC in the family I get access to, and every server / PC / laptop and netbook at home. TightVNC is a form of RealVNC.

TightVNC is free.
              Last edited by RichardCranium; 13 February 2010, 12:44. Reason: Added TightVNC link.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Do you want something that you install when you are there so that you don't have to go back, or something the user does to initiate the connection?

(I assume the latter would be of little use since the PC must be knackered in some way.)

I leave TightVNC running on every PC in the family I get access to, and every server / PC / laptop and netbook at home. TightVNC is a form of RealVNC.

TightVNC is free.
                Not necessarily too knackered. Web ex for example boasts "no software to install". This is preferred to having to install a VNC app.

Comment

WebEx Meeting Center is available for £24/month with a prepaid annual commitment, or £30/month on a month-to-month basis. You get unlimited use, with a meeting capacity of up to 25 people.
                  I think I'll stick to my free TightVNC.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I think I'll stick to my free TightVNC.
                    Web ex Support Center is the thing I was looking at. How did you get prices for meeting center?

Comment

Not necessarily too knackered. Web ex for example boasts "no software to install". This is preferred to having to install a VNC app.
                      For all these types of solutions, they'll have to run 'something', difference is what type of install. VNC is a proper app whereas others use a standalone exe or ActiveX control where the users just visit a web page to grab it.

Maybe look at:

https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/UK/HelpDesk/Home.aspx
                      http://www.instanthousecall.com/
                      http://showmypc.com/

Used one recently with a client in the US where they sent me an email link and it was very smooth and slick but cant for the life of me remember what it was, hadn't heard of it before. Will try to dig it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X