• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Remote support software"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I recall us discussing TightVNC before.

Security & TightVNC.

Some more suggestions for remote access.

And there was this post by someone.
    Just something about the name "TightVNC" that appeals to me.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I recall us discussing TightVNC before.

Security & TightVNC.

Some more suggestions for remote access.

And there was this post by someone.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 13 February 2010, 22:30.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Oh and also as you're no doubt (un)aware, many of these tools like CoPilot (and the ones advertised on TV) are based on VNC. I remember reading Joel's articles about it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You mean like changing screen resolution to 320x200 black and white mode?
    No, like turning off the pretty wall-paper of bikini-clad beauties

When I worked at a company trying to offshore us to Tata, one thing we tested was if we could work on PCs in India using VNC, by artificially throttling the connection down to dial-up speed. It was still usable.

And for desktop support, you don't need high speed anyway.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Also, VNC isn't slow if you configure it
    properly.
    You mean like changing screen resolution to 320x200 black and white mode?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    TightVNC (and probably whole of VNC) is a slow piece of tulip - Remote Desktop beats it hands down.
    RD is far better for simply logging in remotely. But things like VNC let the other person see what you're doing, since VNC sits above the desktop rather than actually logging you in to their PC.

Also, VNC isn't slow if you configure it properly.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    What about Mac and Linux types?
    Who might they be?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    TightVNC (and probably whole of VNC) is a slow piece of tulip - Remote Desktop beats it hands down.
    Windoze remote desktop? What about Mac and Linux types?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Copilot from Fog Creek Software, Joel Spolsky's company.
    I like the cut-er-yer-jib young NickFitz. Nice suggestion. But then you knew that .

Thanks all. TightVNC is definately in the mix also.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    IIRC you can do this with no 'extra' software just using MSN Live Messenger.

Click Actions / Request Remote Assistance and hey presto, your mate gives you their desktop to control.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Crossloop.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Haven't read the entire thread but depending on what you do I recommend Radmin.
    Fantastic tool it is . You have to pay for it (one off) but no subscriptions.
    I use it to remote in to my desktop at home. I use DynDNS which enables me to get through to my wireless router via a domain name, and have my wireless router configured to forward to my desktop PC at home. The desktop also has a static IP on my LAN, so the router will aways successfully forward to my PC.

All I have to do is to run the DynDNS software if I reboot my desktop at home (or restart the ASDL router maybe) which updates the DYnDNS.org server with the current IP and then all traffic is directed to my desktop.

BTW, Radmin also has a built in FTP and Telnet, opening a Dos command prompt (without seeing the desktop) and works well over slowish connections. I have a bad 3G connection at work but can still FTP files down to my personal laptop fairly quickly and without failure, even though using a web browser on the same machine can result in errors due tothe slow connection.

Oh, just realised you would need a licence for each machine the radmin server is installed on which makes it expensive
    Last edited by SuperZ; 13 February 2010, 17:03.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I was about to say that. Never used it but it sounds cool, have you tried it?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X