• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When contract jobs go bad..........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    well, it's for your benefit that most of the great books of the world are freely available in .txt format, ideally suited to reading in an IDE code window.

I have on occasion done some serious data manipulation to do exactly the same.

Assigning a function key to bring another window to the front is a good idea
    Last edited by Sysman; 12 February 2010, 15:43.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by YASUKA View Post
      I was working a German Investment Bank ...
      So... No point applying for jobs with this IB, the HR department at DB ....
      Did you mean to name it?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Worked for BT...... It was Shyte..... Nuff said..

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Secure site - no phone, no MP3 player, no laptop until cleared (and even then, no internet that you could log into, in case anyone tracked your IP address)...
          Ah, so it was you all along

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            No contract is bad if your invoices get paid.
            health remains in tact and your invoice get paid
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

my last but one contract working for a london publishing company was a whole bag of fun.

We HAD to start (me and another contractor) a week before Xmas, to be completed in a week as the Indian middlemen needed our work to test over the holidays. We both worked our A*** off to get it done, ( i got home 3am Xmas morning). It was eventually tested end of Feb. tulipe (actually no )project management. They had Deloitte in to PM the PM's and then another firm to monitor them. The Indian Team managed Jack tulip, blamed everyone else for their failings, and, unfortunately, the IT director was an ex accountant who knew nothing about everything. Project delayed, over budget massively and contractors got the blame. If the contractors had been given the task of getting the job done in the first place, it would have been done on time and in budget (some very top blokes were doing the top work, but came up against intransient dullards). The last month I was there I probably did 2hrs work (lots of walks up through Camden). I've not been in this job long enough to know when to quit, but this contract taught me a lot ie. Basically, how not to manage a project.
              Plus the agency I did it through went bust owing me.
              Still...the eye candy was tip top!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                No contract is bad if your invoices get paid.
                You've not yet had a proper bad contract.

Be glad.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  health remains in tact and your invoice get paid
                  l

intact

You've just reminded me of one where the aircon was incredibly bad and I had a permanent head cold. Next stop a place with opening windows and not a single sniffle the whole year round.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I make a point of giving off the impression that I do not give a toss and make it known that if I was to be let go today I would be more than happy. I offset that by making sure the job is always done and to a decent standard.

The worst thing that can happen to someone trying to get at you is to make sure you cannot be got at. It pisses them off no end.
                    I thought the arrogance and just an act for this board. But this sounds like borderline personality disorder. Have you ever thought it could be you rather than 'them'?
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 13 February 2010, 15:01.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Worked a gig in Coventry where I turned up the first morning and it was totally obvious from the lead blokes body language and attitude that I was "just a scumbag contractor". I sat back to back with this numpty and he used to email me rather than turn round and tell/ask me stuff. I lasted six weeks, the time it took for me to get another job and that included a two week holiday that they luckily had known about before they took me on.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X