• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I wouldn't do that to EO if i were you
    *passes Pogle the lube*
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
      I always take the bird in the hand.
      Fnar...
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        OK, I've got a verbal offer of a contract down south - (subject to checks) starting on Monday. A
        I've just been asked for an interview for another role rather closer to home, less money, but in a city centre, where i have friends with a spare room and at a push I could come home a couple of nights a week. B
        I would prefer contract B
        They cant interview me til next week.

How do I put off contract A to allow me to interview for contract B?
        Should I just take contract A and put up with it?
        Should I turn down A and hope I get B?

Contract A are still looking for more people and Contract B doesn't want to interview anyone else, so far.

Anyone else been in this situation and how badly can I stuff it up!!
        Would it make a massive difference to delay a week? Ask straight out,
        Explain your relocation issues (make some up, Landlord messed up on flat etc..), make up some injury to delay a week, I've had this happen a few times in the past and usually managed to delay a week or two with child, pet, issues never been a problem.
        Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

You only have one offer at the moment - worse case you lose even that!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            If you need to put A off, then when you get the written contract, tell them you need to get it reviewed, then wait a bit before getting it reviewed, then argue about a minor point (or it may need changing genuinely).....

Personally, I wouldn't put A off deliberately - if it happens naturally and B is a goer first, then great; if not, then take A and stop whinging about it.

As a complete alternative - get both and exercise your RoS (get someone a lot cheaper!) and make money out of both gigs at the same time.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              WPS

Sorry Pogs - I'd go with the one that offered the job as opposed to one that might offer you the job...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                As a complete alternative - get both and exercise your RoS (get someone a lot cheaper!) and make money out of both gigs at the same time.
                Anybody would think you were running a proper consultancy Faqqer...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

take the offer, plus you wouldn't want to be putting on your friends for a long period of time by stopping with them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    As mentioned in post #10 above
                    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Can you be honest with B and tell them you've got another offer, so can they interview you PDQ?

Comment

Working...
                      X