• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The whole 'not giving a stuff' thing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw them. You're the expert.

Be nice and so on, but remember: you're smart and they're dumb. Not necessarily about everything, but about what you have to say.

Just remember that you know more about this stuff than they do, tell them what they need to know, don't patronise them (even dumb people hate that for some reason), but don't let them escape before dinning it into their dumb skulls that you know so much more than they do about the matter at hand that you must be the right anthropoid for the job.

If that doesn't work, make sure you scoff a few doughnuts before Security arrives.

Good luck <- manly

Comment

It is a bit intimidating rubbing up against these guys, but its the best experience you will ever get. You cant buy experience like this.

my coping strategy is to ask the question, why am I there ?

the PM/BA/Sponsor role is to say it should be done
      your role is to say it can be done
      the MD role is to say it will be done

so it doesnt matter if you have the interpersonal skills and diction of Quasimodo, just nod now and then and be honest.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        It is a bit intimidating rubbing up against these guys, but its the best experience you will ever get. You cant buy experience like this.

my coping strategy is to ask the question, why am I there ?

the PM/BA/Sponsor role is to say it should be done
        your role is to say it can be done
        the MD role is to say it will be done

so it doesnt matter if you have the interpersonal skills and diction of Quasimodo, just nod now and then and be honest.

WHS

Don't blow it out of proportion, Dear...

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          WHS

Don't blow it out of proportion, Dear...

Just pretend to be Jack Ryan, sit at the back and just when the meeting is flagging, come out with a plan to save the world.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Ok...
            Scenario: I break the political 'rules' that have been laid down ahead of the meeting and speak out of turn, unknowingly or naively. Or speak too technically.
            Likelihood: Well I'll try my best, but tulip happens.
            Buck stops: From above, at terminal velocity.
            RH, I was in this situation a few years back. Every time I had a meeting with very senior individuals, when push came to shove I would fall back and speak far too technically. This would be met with a sea of blank faces but as I was the SME, you couldnt really argue with it.

I felt this was holding me back, so I started to mix more with the heavyweights and I also took on a mentor. Someone completely different to me, but very senior. This helped fantastically. It meant, instead of having to ask a beligerent bulletin board, I could actually run things past a proper person.

Finally, I would just go for +ve comments, we, us, the team etc. That way you can coat tail.

As Gonzo says above, I'm surprised that you of all people are feeling nervous. Remember RH, Front of House, Big Smile, now who likes cocktails?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

<-- manly

Thanks.

Some are surprised to hear this, but extroversion and nervousness in some environments aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, sometimes the former is a self-defence mechanism for the latter.

Many years ago I used to act, in theatre, in a few fairly serious roles. My stage fright was painfully acute but the performances went well. Once, I had to give a presentation about CMS best practice to a room full of IT directors from around the world. I was absolutely bricking it beforehand, but somehow managed to come through in a positive light.

This is hopefully the same process. The responses from our senior CUK kin are reassuring. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience for me. At least I can genuinely put 'senior stakeholder liaison' on the cv.

Comment

That duality of terror and exhilaration: I've always liked the chorus to the Band's Stage Fright

See the man with the stage fright,
                Just standin' up there to give it all his might.
                He got caught in the spotlight,
                But when we get to the end
                He wants to start all over again.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  <-- manly

Thanks.

Some are surprised to hear this, but extroversion and nervousness in some environments aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, sometimes the former is a self-defence mechanism for the latter.

be careful here. you dont have a script for this one.

extroversion and nervousness can lead to the condition known as 'Blurting'
                  the last thing you want to do in front of the MD is 'Blurt'

Blurting can destroy your rep and lead to 'hand snigger'

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

when ever I get this nonsence then just state something along the lines that if you are given the requirments, a project plan and the tools to do your job then you can build/fix anything.

he only wants to know that the team thinks it can deliver and when it doesnt you can them just blame the PM or designers for not providing the right requirements and project plan.

bar that keep quiet, chow down on the free lunch and pop a geeky comment in now and then just to confuse them. The rest of them will waffle away in front of the MD trying to empire build / talk tulip / lick @rse

Comment

Good luck RH. They are people too, treat it as a chat with a few people about the programme. Make points if you feel they are valid; keep quiet if you're not sure. Come out feeling chuffed at your professionalism.
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X