• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The whole 'not giving a stuff' thing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get the PM to script your answers, and then put on your poshest of posh voices - that's what you're there for.

Failing that, just read the shipping forecast, and let them marvel at your elocution.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you really can't face it, exercise your right of substitution.

I'm sure someone on here will step in for you, just don't expect to still have a contract afterwards.

What's worse, having to go on stage or not being allowed in the theatre?
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Don't worry. You're a very capable individual.

If it helps, picture the MD with ice-cream smeared on his head.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          If you really can't face it, exercise your right of substitution.
          Permies don't have a RoS.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            After reading the 'What's a senior position?' and the 'PM/Boss' threads... I'd like to hear the congregation's thoughts on the following:

I've been called into a long meeting with the MD.
            The Programme Architect, Programme Manager, Sponsor, Lead BA and Project Manager will also be there. The MD wants to know who he's got delivering his project, and we've been asked to prepare a short bio illustrating our outstanding contributions to clientcos great and good.

I thrice questioned the wisdom of the Programme Manager in wanting me in this meeting, 'are you sure you need me in on this?' etc. I'm starting to feel nervous about completely cocking up/tripping over my own words or just clamming up. My role is unofficially UX lead, as I'm 'on loan' from another part of the business... but there can't be any buck-passing in this meeting - the sponsor wants us to present a cohesive team spirit. There's no way I can answer any business Qs, but am quite happy to talk around my core SME.

Thing is - and those of you who know me will know this - I'm still very much a kid in comparison to these guys... In terms of gravitas, brevity and the like. They're all at least 10 years my senior. That hasn't been a problem on the project as we all work well together... but facing off the M-bleedin-D? I've only been in this sector for 5 years, and most of it working on sector-agnostic principles.

It's a hard thing to admit to on the open forum, but I'm ever so slightly intimidated, and would appreciate the benefit of coping strategies & your experience in similar situations.

I await the flaming with (hopefully) some comforting and helpful insight.
            The "not giving a stuff" attitude is not a healthy one. As a contractor your first duty is to your client-this of course has the benefit of giving you a good reputation which in turn enhances your value on the market place. What I hope SAS actually means is that he has no particular axe to grind or any other agenda than to serve the project. If that means ruffling a few feathers then so be it (as long as it is not done for political point scoring)
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You are imagining a catastrophic situation which it will not be
              Our minds play these tricks before any event.

You think they will think you are tulip ,which you know you are not.
              You are trying to read their minds, dont do that.

just relax and present your point of view.
              Dont forget to take deep breaths.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Permies don't have a RoS.
                Who left the door open?

Did I miss the poll where it showed who on here are genuine contractors, disguised employees, permies, agents (spit), dossers on the bench, or sockpuppets?

If not, don't bother doing one, it may be like a scene from 'I am Legend'.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                  If it helps, picture the MD with ice-cream smeared on his head.
                  Yes, giggle uncontrollably throughout the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    What I hope SAS actually means is that he has no particular axe to grind or any other agenda than to serve the project. If that means ruffling a few feathers then so be it (as long as it is not done for political point scoring)
                    Indeed. But also I really, honestly don't give a crap if I get fired at any point.
                    Makes you incredibly clear-minded and makes people fear you - because they know you have no qualms about squashing them like the bugs they are.
                    I don't think I'm universally popular

Anyway RH, I deal with very senior people on a regular basis and trust me: the emperor has no clothes. With one or two exceptions most of these guys have superb political skills and little else.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      I don't think I'm universally popular
                      Oh, that one goes into my portfolio of top CUK quotes!
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X