• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sauce for fillet steak?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like an Au Poivre but with red wine added and reduced. Or just plain old garlic butter is hard to beat.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      mmmm stilton butter

MrNorr attempted this for me once. 50 hours it was nice.

I would highly reccommend this or this the latter you can purchase in majestic. Failing that a barolo or barbera will fit the bill, avoid 2003 vintage, not a good year for european wines.
      I had this fillet steak slow cooked @ 50 °C for 3 hours in a restaurant (I can't remember where) - delightful, rare and tender and the most beautiful bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape to accompany it.

I like my 28 day matured rump steaks from my local butchers, room temp warmed, incredibly hot, smoking griddle and 1 min one side, 1 min the other and rested for 10 mins.

As norrahe says (marry me, open a restaurant together! ), Homemade Bearnaise sauce on the side is simply devine.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Three mins a side then lay a thin slice of Dolce Vita on it. Beautifully creamy and piquant without the bother of making a blue cheese sauce. Freshly made English mustard on the side and mushrooms.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

I forgot, triple cooked chips on the side

I get my steak direct from a local farmer he hangs the meat for 5 weeks, mmmmmm
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            Three mins a side then lay a thin slice of Dolce Vita on it.
            I assume that should be Dolcelatte. Putting a stylish but tedious pretentious 60s Italian film on your steak will not yield tasty results.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I forgot, triple cooked chips on the side

I get my steak direct from a local farmer he hangs the meat for 5 weeks, mmmmmm
              I'm lucky to have a good local butcher so I buy all my meat there, I tend to prefer sirloin for steaks and definitely agree that anything past medium rare is effectively ruined.

My butcher has his own slaughter house and hangs and cures (bacon etc) what he sells, he also makes a great range of sausages and even burgers. On the few occasions I've been late and bought meat at the supermarket I've been really disappointed.

Sauce is down to mood and what I am planning to accompany the steak with. A simple garlic and herb butter is a favourite, I do like a good stilton sauce and loads of the others mentioned, but I don't favour something too complex or it spoils the steak experience.

Comment

Ah......... the béarnaise sauce was amazing !

Comment

So it turned out alright then?
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    I assume that should be Dolcelatte. Putting a stylish but tedious pretentious 60s Italian film on your steak will not yield tasty results.
                    Indeed it should.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Marinade (or just rub before cooking) with hot chilli sauce - one that has a kind of 'pure' taste like the super hot encona one.

Flame grill/BBQ.

Eat.

Makes your mouth tingle but in a good way.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X