• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fecking mess

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scaroth of the Jagaroth
    Unless you are suggesting that VAT becomes banded, with the price you pay for goods dependent on how much you earn?
    Banded VAT sounds like madness - an even greater enforcement cost.

Yes VAT is regressive with respect to income but not consumption. But because the poor generally consume less, use State services more and what they do consume is generally exempt anyway e.g. food they should be better off.

It's really about the transfer of money, choice and resposibility from government to the indiviual. The incentive to earn is still there - you keep it all. This gives people security and the choice to save, invest or spend.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
      Banded VAT sounds like madness - an even greater enforcement cost.

Yes VAT is regressive with respect to income but not consumption. But because the poor generally consume less, use State services more and what they do consume is generally exempt anyway e.g. food they should be better off.

It's really about the transfer of money, choice and resposibility from government to the indiviual. The incentive to earn is still there - you keep it all. This gives people security and the choice to save, invest or spend.
      But VAT is, in effect, banded now. There are different rates for different goods. What you are propounding is that the state decides what poor people should be allowed to buy (and hence is made VAT exempt) and what items should be deemed as conspicuous consumption for the rich only and heavily taxed.

No thanks, comrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaroth of the Jagaroth

No thanks, comrade.
        I think this discussion is closed after that. Maybe you should be thinking of some solutions instead of calling people communists. I don't pretend this idea is perfect, but at least it's an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
          I think this discussion is closed after that. Maybe you should be thinking of some solutions instead of calling people communists. I don't pretend this idea is perfect, but at least it's an idea.
          Noddy is Niall and I claim my five pounds - non taxable of course!

Comment

Back on topic

Originally posted by BBC
            The executive Chairman of HM Revenue and Customs, David Varney, disagreed with some of the criticisms (of the tax credits system): "We reject any assertion that overpayments have occurred because the tax credit system is either unduly complex or hard to implement" he said.

"This is a system benefiting over 6 million families, the vast majority of whom have faced no difficulties with their payments. We have already put in place many improvements to deal with the problems raised."
            But hold on Mr Varney:
            Originally posted by BBC
            The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) chairman, Edward Leigh MP, subjected the HM Revenue and Customs to some of the most scathing criticisms it has ever received.

Describing the system as a "nightmare" and "frustratingly arcane" he said: "The Revenue has yet to produce reliable evidence that the flood of public money being wasted under the previous tax credits scheme through fraud and error has been stemmed to any degree."
            Blair's legacy is unprecedented incompetence throughout government in the UK.

Comment

Working...
            X