• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

snowbound and stranded at home, relying on lifts from neighbours in their 4x4s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Aren't these pretty standard conditions if one lives in the countryside in winter? I always assumed that was why people who live in rural areas tend to have 4x4s and a large stockpile of household supplies, together with lots of fridge-freezers stuffed full of food.
    Absolutely.

These bloody townies arrive in the country pushing up the house prices and displacing the locals and have no idea how to cope with some bad weather.

Proper country folk are ready to survive a week without electricity at all times and can trap or hunt their own food if needs be.

I, on the other hand, couldn't wait to leave the rural backwater I grew up in and move to the bright lights of the metropolis.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

I've suggested before that you lot should get a set of winter wheels and tyres.

of course initially the outlay looks expensive but your tyres last twice as long as you run the summer wheels/tyres in summer and winters in winter
      Can one use winter tyres all year round, even if that's a bit more extravagent?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Buying a 4x4 for £30,000 seems a bit of an overkill, when you can pick up a set of winter tyres for £200, and if that aint enough you can spend an extra £30 on some snow chains.
        That is true. I had assumed snow tyres already, had forgotten that the Brits haven't discovered them yet.

Anyway, none of that stuff will get the other people stuck in front of you out of the way. Only the council gritting will do that. Time for regime change?
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Owlhoot,

yes you can run winter tyres all year if you wish

over here in central europe it's not recommended simply from the £££ perspective because the tyres will wear down quicker in the hot summer as they are designed to be soft rubber in cold weather and not hard rubber in hot weather

some people here do run winter tyres all year but it's considered a false economy

I would have though in the UK with mild summers and not so many really hot days it wouldn't be the end of the world to run the winter tyres all year

but at the end of the day once you have suffered the short term pain of buying the second set of wheels and tyres then the wheels and tyres will last you twice as long as you only use then for half a year

I guess another factor in this financial question is how long you plan to keep your car

but then a set of winter tyres does not hurt the second hand value as those on the mainland will testify

Milan.

Comment

Get some snow chains and stop whinging.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Could you not just get a decent pair of boots and walk it? 4 miles is not far.

Comment

We live at bottom of steep minor road too but fortunately there is a brickworks at bottom and they pay for extra gritting. Only at weekends we may be stuck.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

So, all the 4x4's have caused Global Warming which obviously (think of a greenhouse) leads to freezing winters and so everyone needs a huge 4x4 to survive the snow and ice.

Doomed!

Gordon, save us! Put taxes up!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Could you not just get a decent pair of boots and walk it? 4 miles is not far.
                    WHS.
                    FFS the yoof of today are soft as tulipe
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                      Bloody weather - the road is not gritted by the council and never will be and its on a hill which makes it treacherous.

It was Ok for the first day or two.

I'm fed up of clearing the garden paths (the dog has to be taken out) and the drive.

Dunno why I bothered with the drive, its so steep I can't get the car up it.

So we've been stranded. For groceries I had to walk to the top of the road and get picked up by a minicab - who charged £9.40 for a 2 mile journey. Luckily on the way back a neighbour was in the supermarket so I got a life home.

Today I had to get dog food as it had almost run out and had to be ordered at the Vet's last week. Luckily again another neighbour was able to take me in their 4x4.

Tomorrow I will have to scrounge a lift from someone just to to a pre Xmas food shop and to buy some Xmas presents.

Council information is tulipe - it confirms the road will never be salted - but gives NO effing advice on how to get it done privately. There is a salt bin on the road officially to allow homeowners to clear the pavements in front of their homes. It was emptied on the first day of snow by the nearest resident using it to clear their own drive and has not been replenished.

I guess I'm lucky 2 miles to the supermarket is not that bad and there is a petrol station at the top of the road, so how are are families in the sticks with young kids stranded at home managing? I guess the community spirit must be stronger around those places.

vent over.
                      Are you 80+?
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X