• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My PC died last night :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lappy (my main CUK machine) died the other week. Would not boot into windows. Would boot into safe mode, but would lock up after a while. First thoughts was virus/rootkit. Scanned and nope. Second thoughts was HDD fail. Scanned. Nope. Then I ran msconfig, and removed have the drivers from the boot. Continually doing a binary chop of the drivers until I nailed the offending one. Some TCP helper related job IIRC (SSDP Discovery, I just checked ). Took him out and even though I am still using a custom boot without this driver the machine is ok.

Start > Run > MsConfig

Services Tab.

Untick bottom half. Boot. Booted OK? Retick top half of the half you just unticked and boot again. Etc etc etc. Took a while. Pick an evening with something good on the telly and get a couple of beers in and do it. Not so bad then.

Best of luck.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Cojak, please please please get a copy of Spinrite from www.grc.com

This is cheap, and gets results all of the time. Hand on heart the very best thing to use. I swear by it.

Good luck.

Will do SY01

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I have the OS on one harddrive, programs on another and data on a third. With regular backups.

Having an Apple won't help you if your disk gets corrupted, fails or is otherwise damaged. You're just locking yourself into proprietry...
        Where do you get your desktop from NAT?

I'm looking at producing online tutorials and stuff and Camtasia is too much for this old machine whereas that what Macs are built for (amongst other stuff, admittedly).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I got it from www.steg-computer.ch Not much help, I know...

I replaced my aging desktop last year with one of the one's they build themselves, without OS, having previously run a complete backup (Norton Ghost) of my old PC onto a 1TB External harddrive.

I installed XP on the new PC, then recovered my programs and data harddrives into it. At this point, the programs won't run, because the registry doesn't know anything about them. So what I did then, was reinstall the various pieces of software into the same locations. Then I recovered some of the "Documents and Settings" from the backup of the C drive.

It was about 1.5-2 hours actual hands-on work. Ended up with a much faster machine, and all the software I regularly used. Occasionally, I find a utility I overlooked, and it's a few minutes work to get it up and running again.

I even managed to keep the data for my kids SIMS-3 stuff.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Where do you get your desktop from NAT?

I'm looking at producing online tutorials and stuff and Camtasia is too much for this old machine whereas that what Macs are built for (amongst other stuff, admittedly).
            Whether you go PC or Mac, get an external drive or three for backups.

Mac's Time Machine does decent backups, but if you are a backup pedant like me you'll also backup to another drive or two using different software.

Remember that you are protecting against two things here:
            • Hardware failure
            • Your own mistakes

and you want to consider how much to archive permanently, for example accounts, client reports, personal correspondence and whatnot.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I think I'm the only person in the world that has used SpinRite or uses grc.com to check for security weaknesses.
              Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Cojak, please please please get a copy of Spinrite from www.grc.com
              Right. That's it. Now I just know I'm your sockpuppet.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Mac's Time Machine does decent backups, but if you are a backup pedant like me you'll also backup to another drive or two using different software.
                My desktop macs time machines to a mac mini server, which time machines itself to the other drive in the server. Both of these are backed up to external storage...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  I think I'm the only person in the world that has used SpinRite or uses grc.com to check for security weaknesses.Right. That's it. Now I just know I'm your sockpuppet.
                  No, not my sockie. Learned poster and esteemed colleague.

HTH
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                  X