• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private (i.e. Public) School

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Ha lol thanks for the analysis next time feel free to offer me a seat on your couch.

I was to be honest being a bit tongue in check.

You can obviously get a higher quality of education if you pay for it.

However it is still down to the individual to ensure that they use the opportunity and as such you find that paying money to send you children to the best school will not automatically mean you children will be succesful.

In addition in some cases the experience of being differentiated from other member of your peer group because your parents have more cash can have a negative effect on their ability to integrate.

Remember talent is a common thing but it is wasted every day.

I know people who went to both types and there are major successes and epic fails from both groups.

(PS Is the punctuation and grammer ok for you Mr D Head?)
    That's more like it. See what you can do when you apply a bit of brain and logic!

A few points:

-The integration thing works both ways
    -The purpose of life is to be happy, which to me is the ultimate measure for success. You have far more chance (if you are not very bright) to achieve what you want in life if you have had a private education.
    -parents do not spend money on school fees lightly
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Cheers for the pointer DA

If I ever fancy going back into a career in recruitment you shall be the first person I contact.

Comment

I see some people are claiming a distinction between private and public schools in the UK. I'm skeptical, can anyone define the difference for me?

My understanding was that in the UK "public" and "private" mean exactly the same thing. I think in most other countries today the terminology would distinguish between "private" (fee-paying) schools and "public" (state) schools. The confusing UK terminology arose because, when "public" schools were invented, the alternative was not a state school, but for your parents to hire private tutors, if they could afford it. So you could say the likes of Eton were invented for "poor" people, who wanted to share the cost of teacher-hiring with other parents.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          I see some people are claiming a distinction between private and public schools in the UK. I'm skeptical, can anyone define the difference for me?

My understanding was that in the UK "public" and "private" mean exactly the same thing. I think in most other countries today the terminology would distinguish between "private" (fee-paying) schools and "public" (state) schools. The confusing UK terminology arose because, when "public" schools were invented, the alternative was not a state school, but for your parents to hire private tutors, if they could afford it. So you could say the likes of Eton were invented for "poor" people, who wanted to share the cost of teacher-hiring with other parents.
          Love it!

Post of the year
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            I see some people are claiming a distinction between private and public schools in the UK. I'm sceptical, can anyone define the difference for me?
            I think my explanation at the top of the 2nd page put it quite well

Comment

Working...
            X