• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some Contracting questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, wasnt really challenged about it just asksed if I had some kind of agreement with the other guy to whom I report to as to working times because I am not always in the office for full days all week.

The clocking in is basically a must in order to gain access to the building because all the doors are security access, maybe this is more for watching permies but all I have to do is swipe my pass but it does keep a record.

There is nothing to say I am getting paid for travelling but nothing to say Im not either. I just take some of that out of my typical working day, if Im busy and need to work later then I do. I consider that reasonable.

There isnt really a problem as you say just perhaps a lack of understanding between the base manager at the place of work and what agreement I have with who I report to down south. All he mentioned was that the hours recorded of me being in the buidling were irregular thats all, however this does not account for me working at home, travelling or taking lunch/not taking lunch.

All the other contracters/staff are local and seem to have regular patterns of work and they all report to the base manager so he will consider their activity as normal, however because I have a different routine it wont look the same although it is nothing to do with this guy anyway because he does not approve my invoices.

I was only wondering what peoples opinions are regarding timekeeping and this being an issue in relation to being outside of IR35 and whether or not I can assume that two hours travelling is part of my typical working day.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by kermitt View Post
      Woah people am not pissing anybody off and am not swanning around like some of you point out, nor do I have any reputation for the like. The only reason I ask is that the base manager at my place of work pointed out that my clock in times are irregular, thats all. But I dont work for him I report to someone else who is miles away.

As far as I am aware the system is for fire safety so they have a record of who is in the building, the permies however do have an actual timesheet that they must fulfill. However the base manager mentioned that this log is looked at against the hours that the contractors are billing the client. It is only myself and one other in the whole office that report to the client in England because we are part of his group, everyone else at my place of work reports to the base manager here. We generally work on separate things anyway so there is no team really.

Generally I turn up later on a Monday morning due to the travelling time I incur, I would rather get a restful nights sleep and be proactive at my work than be half asleep and do sod all. Plus I generally do make up some of the time by staying on later and/or take very little lunch break.

The rest of the week I am mostly there on time in the morning if I am late then I again work later, mostly but not always. Typically I do the return journey home on a Friday afternoon instead of taking lunch and then continue working or ensure I am available answering emails, phone calls etc.

Thing is though I am not always busy and my routine changes weekly. Sometimes I am over loaded and work much later than normal, other times there is very little to do and I see no point hanging around just to fill in the clock.

Some Mondays I get up and sort emails out etc and then travel at lunch time, however the clocking in system does not recognise the fact that I may have already spent four hours working that morning off site. I only ever really need to be in the office if I need to use their equipment/software but if I am reviewing documents or writing specifications I can do this anywhere really.

Essentially I am getting my work done and have had no complaints from my client. Contract is from the agency who got me the position.
      So there wasn't really a question, you just like writing about yourself
      Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 2 December 2009, 23:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        So there wasn't really a question, you just like writing abouut yourself
        I think the least he can do is to take the padlock off the drinks cabinet
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

useful input, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just adhereing to site policies to keep them happy isn't going to put you out of IR35. Your just fitting in to keep everyone happy. As long as your contract doesn't mention it and the cusomter doesn't implicitly tell you you have to do 9 to 5 then just be a good little boy and keep him sweet.
            Isn't this a bit of a grey area, I thought IR35 cases are being lost where the contract does not mirror the true working practises, and intentions, of those involved.

whether or not I can assume that two hours travelling is part of my typical working day.
            you are on a cushy number as already pointed out on this one- count yourself lucky
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Eventually found these previous posts;

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...y-hours-3.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...y-rates-2.html

which are quite helpful.

Comment

useful input, thanks.
                We usually have a party on a newbie's first thread, but the last few newbie never came back.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

You notice they were not in General, you can ask questions in General but don't always expect to get a serious answere.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    You notice they were not in General, you can ask questions in General but don't always expect to get a serious answere.
                    Specifically in general?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The clocking in is basically a must in order to gain access to the building because all the doors are security access, maybe this is more for watching permies but all I have to do is swipe my pass but it does keep a record.
                      That isn't clocking in man! Thats standard security practice for most decent sized companies. Clocking in... which decade are you from?

There is nothing to say I am getting paid for travelling but nothing to say Im not either. I just take some of that out of my typical working day, if Im busy and need to work later then I do. I consider that reasonable.
                      You might consider it reasonable, you might want to clarify that with the guy paying your bill. I am feeling your not the most customer focussed person. Possibly not too much of a problem if you want to argue contactual obligations all the time but would be worth keeping him happy sometimes.

I was only wondering what peoples opinions are regarding timekeeping and this being an issue in relation to being outside of IR35 and whether or not I can assume that two hours travelling is part of my typical working day.
                      You cannot assume this at all. You are contracted to do a piece of work. What happens past the work gates is your problem. Generally you knew where the work was and it is up to you to make sure you can get there to do it. If you can agree with the customer to give you 2 hours for sod all (everyone else has some level of communte) then way to go. Keep you head down and keep schtum imo.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X