• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors are Thatchers children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said, Dodgy!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Contractors are Thatcher's children
      That doesn't really stand up. Individuals seek an income and must do so within mechanisms the society provides. When unionised industry was the only option, we were unionised workers. When permie roles stop being permanent and employers want temporary staff and the government won't allow self-employment, contracting becomes the only option.

We're just doing what is imposed upon us.

A far better statement would have been
      Agencies are Thatcher's children
      as it is the agents that use human labour to make money without actually producing anything other than money. Surely that fits the model better?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Did I say they would?
        No, please accept my apologies. I was a committed Maggie hater but sooner her than the current rabble we have to choose from. Not sure how we move forward from here

I think we needed a proper recession to have a good clean out of all the current politicians ( and senior civil servants, bankers, high profile businessmen ie. all the same bunch ). But they have managed to survive ( for now ) by digging us into a bigger hole.

Comment

hmmm.

Ricardo,

'as it is the agents that use human labour to make money without actually producing anything other than money. Surely that fits the model better?'

I'd love to see DA's face when he reads that.

My opinion Ricardo, there is an element of misunderstanding in what you write.

Milan.

Comment

Given Mrs Thatcher's upbringing in a grocer's shop and her admiration of small businesses, would she have ever dreamt up something like IR35? Would she have stood by and let the EU, never mind encouraged the EU, to develop similar legislation across the whole of the EU, given her belief in free trade?

Personally, I don't think so.

I can think of lots of things where I disagree with Mrs Thatcher, but at least she understood why an economy needs small businesses, and she understood what small businesses need.

I think on this aspect I'm in agreement with DA.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Given Mrs Thatcher's upbringing in a grocer's shop and her admiration of small businesses, would she have ever dreamt up something like IR35? Would she have stood by and let the EU, never mind encouraged the EU, to develop similar legislation across the whole of the EU, given her belief in free trade?

Personally, I don't think so.

I can think of lots of things where I disagree with Mrs Thatcher, but at least she understood why an economy needs small businesses, and she understood what small businesses need.

I think on this aspect I'm in agreement with DA.
              Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but IR35 type plans were presented to succesive governments by the revenue. It was this shower of sh1 te that agreed it was a good idea

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Social mobility i.e the ability for people to move from "working class" to "middle class" was better under the tories.
                Uh... this has never existed and never will, you cannot buy class. A toff who has lost everything is still upper class, and a working class lottery winner is still working class. Hyacinth Bucket, no matter how hard she tries, will not move from working/middle class to upper class.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                  Uh... this has never existed and never will, you cannot buy class. A toff who has lost everything is still upper class, and a working class lottery winner is still working class. Hyacinth Bucket, no matter how hard she tries, will not move from working/middle class to upper class.
                  Uh... Firstly, I was using the quotes to imply percieved class seeing as how we're now in a supposed classless society.

Secondly, I omitted "upper class" as you need to be born in to it.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but IR35 type plans were presented to succesive governments by the revenue. It was this shower of sh1 te that agreed it was a good idea

Taxmen spend their lives dreaming up new taxes. They get promotion by dreaming them up and presenting a 'business case' to the government. It's a bit like the police; chief inspectors continually lobby the government for more powers, arguing, 'if you give us these powers we can reduce crime and catch villains'. A government that continually gives in to policemen asking for more power will end up creating some hideous state where the police control every aspect of your life, just like the DDR or the USSR, or indeed the way the UK is going under New Liebore.

Likewise, if a government continually accepts new proposals from taxmen who want to further their careers, before long we'll have very high rates of tax being paid by people who work for the government, therefore are paid by the taxes they pay, and a private sector that can't sustain it, hence huge public debts and a crippled economy, a bit like the DDR, the USSR, Zimbabwe, North Korea or the way the UK is going under New Liebore, and the way the whoe of the EU will go if we don't heed some of Mrs Thatcher's lessons about a healthy private sector.

I'm sure Mrs Thatcher and her various chancellors recieved lots of 'constructive suggestions for raising government revenues' from the inland Revenue. Happily they rejected a lot of them.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Uh... Firstly, I was using the quotes to imply percieved class seeing as how we're now in a supposed classless society.

Secondly, I omitted "upper class" as you need to be born in to it.
                      How can you have class mobility and a classless society?

Comment

Working...
                      X