• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors are Thatchers children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it Thatcher? because we suffered two pretty awful recessions under Thatcher "if it isn't hurting it isn't working", so the contract market was almost impossible back then. Sort of got going after she left really. In fact under Blair it really got moving, so maybe ....Blair's children with a bit of help from Mr Major.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 December 2009, 11:43.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

You do realise that by bringing this thread back I have now lost concentration and momentum on my "lead blagging" activities.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        my "lead blagging" activities.
        Oh dear, DA. Taken to pinching the lead of church rooves?

(Need a hand? I've got a ladder.)
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          The industrial decline due to the present government has been greater than it was under Thatcher.
          I read those stats too and was surprised by them.

I had been led to believe that the Labour party was rescuing industry from the ravages of Tory governments.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I had been led to believe that the Labour party was rescuing industry from the ravages of Tory governments.
            You can't rescue lower wages and less taxes in Eastern Europe and Asia.
            I just read an article where the LSE is offshoring all its IT to Sri Lanka - which apparently is cheaper than India.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              You can't rescue lower wages and less taxes in Eastern Europe and Asia.
              Probably true. In which case that's two reasons for lefties to be embarrassed about criticising Thatcher for wrecking UK manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Oh dear, DA. Taken to pinching the lead of church rooves?

(Need a hand? I've got a ladder.)
                There's an idea

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Are you saying IT Contractors are like Mark and Carol? Criminal, racist and racketeering

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Which stats where? Please.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      If you bother to read what I wrote then you will see that I am as critical of her as most. I may have been wrong statistically about grammar schools but my central point is not about grammar schools, nor is it about adoring the woman. My point is that contractors have done very well as a result of her policies and I am asking those of you who hate her so much to explain why. So far not one of the hysterical idiots has managed to step up and argue:

1. That had Thatcher NOT come into power they would be as wealthy as they are now anyway.

or

2. What is it that she did that was so terrible to them that it made them hate her.

If snaw had said that Thatcher once got pished and stabbed his mum to death then THAT I could understand.
                      1. As others have said - totally unknowable.
                      2. We've been over this, but just a few highlights:

Support for Apartheid
                      Refusal to settle Miners strike when she had the opportunity
                      Failure to act to prevent Falklands Invasion when warned and cynical use of it subsequently
                      Claim to refuse to negotiate with "blood stained marxist" Mugabe - and then negotiating.
                      Claims never to U turn but doing one any time her personal power was threatened.
                      Her sickening support for the utter reptile Cecil Parkinson - Mandelson's a sleazy rat, but he didn't abandon his own child and refuse to have anything to do with her or her Mum.
                      Claims she cut taxes when she didn't
                      Claims to respect democracy and free speech but refused to let a legally constituted Polictical party appear and speak on TV
                      Sickening Support for Pinochet
                      Claim to cut red tape but increasing it - Poll Tax top but not the only example
                      Squandered Oil and Privatisation revenues
                      Created most of the current Quangocracy current Tories complain about
                      Purchase of Jonson Matthey Bank - a Nationalisation when it suited her
                      Had the cheek to campaign on the basis of that "Labour Isn't working" poster on the basis that Labour wasn't ensuring people had work! What a laugh. Took over and more than doubled unemployment (as well as gerimandering the stats).
                      Selling us stuff we'd already paid for then creating pointless regulators and watchdogs to do sod all at our expense
                      Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 8 December 2009, 07:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X