• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contractor Joins Team - Strictly 9->6

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally I do 08:00 to 16:30 so I can get home to spend some time with my young family before they go to bed.

If workload occasionally warrants extra hours to get stuff in on time, then that's fine but I won't do it regularly, regardless of the rate.........Family = #1 for me

Comment

Now I'm working 7.30 to 4.00 Monday > Thursday and 7.00 to 12.00 on Fridays. Client has a blanket O/T ban in place right now with the weeks capped at 37 hours.

Previous gig was 7.00 to 4.00 with a 3.00 finish on Fridays. Always 20 to 30 minutes lunch in any job for me.

If I'm working away, I will tend to work more hours if I can to try to spend less time sat in digs/pubs etc and earn a bit extra to cover expenses if possible.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Now I'm working 7.30 to 4.00 Monday > Thursday and 7.00 to 12.00 on Fridays. Client has a blanket O/T ban in place right now with the weeks capped at 37 hours.

Previous gig was 7.00 to 4.00 with a 3.00 finish on Fridays. Always 20 to 30 minutes lunch in any job for me.

If I'm working away, I will tend to work more hours if I can to try to spend less time sat in digs/pubs etc and earn a bit extra to cover expenses if possible.
        You are on a hourly rate??

Of the top of your head what is the hourly rate for someone on 500 a day??

500 /9??

Comment

8am to 7pm are crazy hours unless you are billing by the hour.
          If daily rate then 8am to 4:00 / 4:30 / 5:00 ish depending on the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
            You are on a hourly rate??

Of the top of your head what is the hourly rate for someone on 500 a day??

500 /9??
            That's right, hourly. Yes I'd agree too that generally an hourly to day rate comparison would expect it to be about what you suggest.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
              Generally I do 08:00 to 16:30 so I can get home to spend some time with my young family before they go to bed.

If workload occasionally warrants extra hours to get stuff in on time, then that's fine but I won't do it regularly, regardless of the rate.........Family = #1 for me
              Same for me.

You do what you are contracted to do, no more unless required for specific deadlines, events. I then agree (or just adjust my hours to compensate). I am on a day rate.

TO the OP - you are working too long each day. This will affect your health, both physical and mental eventually. In the short term your concentration and attention to detail will slip (well mine does) so working more than 7-8 hours a day can be counter productive.
              Beer
              is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                What sort of times do people do in contracting here??
                40+ hour week - variable times depending on travel time, inclination and whether I can get out of bed in the mornings.

If I'm travelling, then you'll never see me on site at 9 on a Monday or after 3 on a Friday. Last two years have seen me leave at 12 to 1230 on a Friday to catch the plane.

I don't keep strict hours - I work to my own schedule to get the job done.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

8 to 4:30 are normal for me - but I do extra when really needed (eg project go live).
                  Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                    8 to 4:30 are normal for me - but I do extra when really needed (eg project go live).

WHS

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                      WHS
                      Actually should have been "WSH"...
                      Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
                      X