• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contractor Joins Team - Strictly 9->6

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Im 9-5 1 hour lunch, morning break afternoon break, few pretend tulips while I surf the web on my phone. If asked to do more I will double my rate. The client will soon stop asking. My mission is usually to do the least work possible without getting fired, while being paid great money. Usually the less work I do and more bulltulipting the longer the contract lasts, weird!
    You're a credit to your profession.

How much do you reckon it would be worth if someone had the relevant data and charged members not to reveal their online identities and selected posts to their timesheet-signers Sounds like a promising plan B
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Mine is approx 8-4.30pm, the job gets done in that time and the client is happy. I will work later some days if it's really necessary, but it rarely is and my contracts states something about "up to 40 hours per week".

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        You're a credit to your profession.

How much do you reckon it would be worth if someone had the relevant data and charged members not to reveal their online identities and selected posts to their timesheet-signers Sounds like a promising plan B
        Yeah im sure that would work.

Comment

10 - 5 with an hour lunch break.

Actually it's often 10:30 - 4:30 with a two hour lunch, but I rarely have any meaningful work to do so I don't feel 'guilty'. They are hiring me by the day and I am billing by the day. In fact I probably have the highest effective hourly rate on CUK

Boring as hell though.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
            8am to 7pm are crazy hours ..

IMO 8am start time sounds crazy on its own ..
            Wake up at that time .. possible .., but be in the office already !?

Comment

Whatever the project takes.

For me 8 -> 7 would be pretty normal for the first couple of months, maybe even 8 -> 9, to get things under control. Then about 9-5.30 for the bulk of the work. On my last contract the last 3 months were more like 9:30 -> 4 with a decent lunch break.

Definitely don't worry about how long another contractor is spending on site. He'll be doing his own thing at his own pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                IMO 8am start time sounds crazy on its own ..
                Wake up at that time .. possible .., but be in the office already !?
                It depends on the commute.

I always found that the journey into the office in London was more bearable getting there for eight than for nine.

Comment

I'm an early bird so I'll be in the office between 7:30 - 8:00 (no - I don't have kids). I always live within bikeable distance to work. I have *never* driven a car to work and back, but will take the train if necessary.

For day rate I'll work til 5 - 5:30. Hourly rate i will work all the hours I can including sat (and often sun) so I can finish the contract ASAP and go travelling.

For those who say you burn out I've found that I start to deteriorate over about 55-60 hours/week, but I can do that for about 6 months without losing it (too much :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                    I'm an early bird so I'll be in the office between 7:30 - 8:00 (no - I don't have kids).
                    In the office by 7am. Usually have a 30min break for lunch but sometime eat at my desk if I'm on a roll (excuse the pun). Usually out the door for 3.15-3.30 but stay later if deadlines dictate otherwise.

this means I'm home by 4pm to spend time with the kids (usually means helping to their homework) including sitting down for dinner with them (and Mrs Flubster of course).

Doing more than 40hours work in a week (or 50hours when you include travelling) has got to be detrimental to your health, quality of work and homelife. Work-Life balance swings both ways, but I always favour Life...
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
                      Work-Life balance swings both ways, but I always favour Life...
                      Agreed. Work to Live and not Live to Work.

Comment

Working...
                      X