• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Contractor Joins Team - Strictly 9->6"

Collapse

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    and that I am very good at my job.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    I "work" from 9 to 5 with 1 hour lunch break
    Crazy contractors who work from 8 to 7 make life hard for decent folks like us and setup wrong expectations from the client.

Get a life
    I've never understood this continuously being at work for long hours: occasionally yes, of course.

Do these people not have other stuff to do? Whilst, even if I wanted to always work long hours, there are so many other things I have to / want to do.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    What is this "work" of which you speak?
    WTGALS

Work?

Do you mean 'presenteeism'?

Joey ought to watch himself, I hear the Three Billy Goats Gruff are heading this way.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    7 - 3

with a one hour walk at 12

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    mon: 12:30 - 6 (due to flights)
    tues-thurs: mostly 8:30 - 6:30 with 30 min lunch
    fri: 8 or 9 - 1 (depending on hangover and flight times)

hourly rate
    average around 38-40hrs a week

Leave a comment:

• bandit_legs
    replied
    10-6

1 hr lunch break

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Crazy contractors who work from 8 to 7 make life hard for decent folks like us and setup wrong expectations from the client.

Get a life
    WHS

I want to spend time with my family, not most of my waking flucking hours at some poxy workplace.

Although doesn't necessarily apply to me as have been hourly paid so far.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied

Get a life

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I work 7:30 till 5 most days. Like to finish early.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Whatever time I decide to get in. I tend to get in around 9am on a monday but get in earlier as the week goes by, settling into around 7am by Friday. I tend to finish quite early, as I tend to play squash at around 5pm, but normally stick in at least one or two 10+ hour days.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Agreed. Work to Live and not Live to Work.
    In other words...Contractor not Permie

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    Work-Life balance swings both ways, but I always favour Life...
    Agreed. Work to Live and not Live to Work.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
    I'm an early bird so I'll be in the office between 7:30 - 8:00 (no - I don't have kids).
    In the office by 7am. Usually have a 30min break for lunch but sometime eat at my desk if I'm on a roll (excuse the pun). Usually out the door for 3.15-3.30 but stay later if deadlines dictate otherwise.

this means I'm home by 4pm to spend time with the kids (usually means helping to their homework) including sitting down for dinner with them (and Mrs Flubster of course).

Doing more than 40hours work in a week (or 50hours when you include travelling) has got to be detrimental to your health, quality of work and homelife. Work-Life balance swings both ways, but I always favour Life...

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    I'm an early bird so I'll be in the office between 7:30 - 8:00 (no - I don't have kids). I always live within bikeable distance to work. I have *never* driven a car to work and back, but will take the train if necessary.

For day rate I'll work til 5 - 5:30. Hourly rate i will work all the hours I can including sat (and often sun) so I can finish the contract ASAP and go travelling.

For those who say you burn out I've found that I start to deteriorate over about 55-60 hours/week, but I can do that for about 6 months without losing it (too much :-)

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    IMO 8am start time sounds crazy on its own ..
    Wake up at that time .. possible .., but be in the office already !?
    It depends on the commute.

I always found that the journey into the office in London was more bearable getting there for eight than for nine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X