• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skiing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    WTF is hockey stop?
    as in Ice Hockey
    Turn your ski's so they are perpendicular to the direction of travel.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

WTF is hockey stop?
      A short stop using the ski's edge, in exectution you have cover a stationary skier with snow... its alpine law.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        as in Ice Hockey
        Turn your ski's so they are perpendicular to the direction of travel.
        So almost a precursor to doing parallel turns then? (Do they still do those? It's been a LONG time since I went skiing)
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So almost a precursor to doing parallel turns then? (Do they still do those? It's been a LONG time since I went skiing)
          You unload the weight turn and load the edges.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If you're a beginner, choose a resort where you don't have to buy a ski-pass to get to the nursery area. Many of the ski-parks are free to use.

There are places where the snowplough is your only option (other than going straight). It has its place. But I'd agree that there's no point in not learning parallel/carving skiing first off. Someone once said to me "Your body knows how to ski", I started to relax, and enjoyed it far more.

Do wear a helmet.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Do wear a helmet.
              Wuss.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Wuss.
                Still alive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I went to Glenshee up in Scotland for a week. We did a couple of hours on the baby slope and on day 2 the instructor didnt show.
                  We were all told to go home, but I thought 'sod that, take me to the Tiger Slope'

Waiting for the t bars , this ten year old snotter looks at me wobbling around and says for all the world to hear, 'looks like SOMEONE is heading for a fall'
                  'Shut it you little tw@t, unless you want this ski pole up yer jacksy'

I have to admit though, he was right

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X