• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Skiing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Skiing"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I went to Glenshee up in Scotland for a week. We did a couple of hours on the baby slope and on day 2 the instructor didnt show.
    We were all told to go home, but I thought 'sod that, take me to the Tiger Slope'

Waiting for the t bars , this ten year old snotter looks at me wobbling around and says for all the world to hear, 'looks like SOMEONE is heading for a fall'
    'Shut it you little tw@t, unless you want this ski pole up yer jacksy'

I have to admit though, he was right

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Wuss.
    Still alive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Do wear a helmet.
    Wuss.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you're a beginner, choose a resort where you don't have to buy a ski-pass to get to the nursery area. Many of the ski-parks are free to use.

There are places where the snowplough is your only option (other than going straight). It has its place. But I'd agree that there's no point in not learning parallel/carving skiing first off. Someone once said to me "Your body knows how to ski", I started to relax, and enjoyed it far more.

Do wear a helmet.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    So almost a precursor to doing parallel turns then? (Do they still do those? It's been a LONG time since I went skiing)
    You unload the weight turn and load the edges.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    as in Ice Hockey
    Turn your ski's so they are perpendicular to the direction of travel.
    So almost a precursor to doing parallel turns then? (Do they still do those? It's been a LONG time since I went skiing)

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    WTF is hockey stop?
    A short stop using the ski's edge, in exectution you have cover a stationary skier with snow... its alpine law.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    WTF is hockey stop?
    as in Ice Hockey
    Turn your ski's so they are perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    To actually answer the OP's question...

Modern 'carving' skis are so much easier to turn on than the old, straight planks. As a result ski teaching has changed. In America they do not teach snowplough; they teach hockey-stop from day one. European ski schools are very old fashioned and still teach snowplough, and you will be doing this all week in any European ski school. Opinion is massively divided over the best teaching technique, but if you get a British (or even American) instructor then you should be doing hockey stop from the word go, with no lifting of skis a la snowplough.*

(* any other skiers please correct me here!)

And don't even get me started on the arm-swinging bollocks that the French Ecole du Ski teach snowboarders!
    WTF is hockey stop?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    To actually answer the OP's question...

Modern 'carving' skis are so much easier to turn on than the old, straight planks. As a result ski teaching has changed. In America they do not teach snowplough; they teach hockey-stop from day one. European ski schools are very old fashioned and still teach snowplough, and you will be doing this all week in any European ski school. Opinion is massively divided over the best teaching technique, but if you get a British (or even American) instructor then you should be doing hockey stop from the word go, with no lifting of skis a la snowplough.*

(* any other skiers please correct me here!)

And don't even get me started on the arm-swinging bollocks that the French Ecole du Ski teach snowboarders!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Unless you're young and agile, a bit too cool, and don't mind sitting on your arse all day, I'd go for skiing over snowboarding.

Go to a resort that is good for beginners, but avoid the more family-friendly ones (unless you have a family.) Get the "Where to Ski and Snowboard 2010" guide. I'd stick to Italy, Austria, Switzerland or France. Italy will be cheapest. Bulgaria is full of poor people on donkeys. Go for full-day all-week small group lessons. If you can, pay extra for a British ski guide or you will just get "ben-zee-nees" all week. Pay £50 for heat moulded insoles in England and put them in your hire boots. Get 2nd hand crappy ski clothes on eBay. Good goggles are worth it though.

</waffle>

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Learn before you go. I'd also recommend learning on a dry slope rather than a snowdome. It's far harder to ski on a dry slope so that when you get on the snow in your resort it's all easy-peasy. It's not just about learning to actually ski - learn how to get up when you fall down on a slope and how to turn corners on a narrow slope and your holiday will be much more fun.

Andorra as previously mentioned is good for beginners or any of the big resorts in the French Alps are generally excellent as well. Les Gets/Avoriaz is a nice French area that's not too expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    I'd recommend Pamporova in Bulgaria.

When we went it really was like the wild west (apart from the cheap skiing) - openly brazen and cheap prostitutes, gun toting political heavys hiding out in the resort clubs with their "girlfriends", totally cheap beer and schnapps, outrageously bad food and one incredibly bad hotel.

One of the best holidays in my life.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Andorra is good for a beginner, they've spent a fortune on liking up the two main areas and the Hotels are a high standard for the money. It was a favourite for the Irish but seeing as they're more skint than we are the slopes should be empty.

Soldeu for families, Pasa for nightlife.
    WHS, if you are splashing the contractor cash stay at the Spa hotel in Soldeu - it's just next to the Gondola and has an awesome pool/sauna/steam/relax complex over three floors that really helps those aching muscles.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Andorra is good for a beginner, they've spent a fortune on liking up the two main areas and the hotels are a high standard for the money. It was a favourite for the Irish but seeing as they're more skint than we are the slopes should be empty.

Soldeu for families, Pasa for nightlife.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X