• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George is almost done

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one Alf

Where do you get all this stuff (please don't say from your record collection
    :-)
    Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
      Where do you get all this stuff (please don't say from your record collection
      :-)
      Aye DG

Record collection , showing your age a tad there eh ?

Nowadays its all CDs or MP4s or whatever new fangled nonsense.

Back on thread , Its adapted from WH Audens Ode to Yeats

If you have little else better to do on a Friday afternoon the full text is here

http://search.able2know.com/About/4033.html

Comment

There is probably quite a lot of evidence that alcoholism is genetic. raises interesting questions of free will. Did he really have a choice about his actions? His mother died of alcohol related diseases too.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Alcoholism is a disease like any other. I would say that as some form of compensation for the joy he brought to countless football fans, George deserved every helping hand he was given and then some. I count myself lucky as I was privileged enough as an 11-year-old to see the great man in action at the peak of his powers. Those who attempt to undermine his right to a second chance can count themselves amongst the truly narrow-minded and bitter in our society. Nothing to be proud of when you consider the level of contemporary opposition!

Go with our blessing George, the world is truly a lesser place for your passing!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
            Alcoholism is a disease like any other. I would say that as some form of compensation for the joy he brought to countless football fans, George deserved every helping hand he was given and then some. I count myself lucky as I was privileged enough as an 11-year-old to see the great man in action at the peak of his powers. Those who attempt to undermine his right to a second chance can count themselves amongst the truly narrow-minded and bitter in our society. Nothing to be proud of when you consider the level of contemporary opposition!

Go with our blessing George, the world is truly a lesser place for your passing!
            Aye SB

True words.

Perhaps you recall the great fashion he set by wearing ones football shirt so it almost obscured your shorts, rather than being sensibly tucked in, as everybody else did at he time.

But boy,could this man play soccer .... rest in peace GB , the final full time whistle has blown.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
              I count myself lucky as I was privileged enough as an 11-year-old to see the great man in action at the peak of his powers.
              I count myself unlucky - I supported Chelsea as a kid and he kept taking the p1ss out of us.

Great player, interesting character, supposed to be a nice bloke.

Above all though, I hope some prospective p1ss artists learn from what happened to him.

Comment

Ah, if only Mother Theresa has dribbled as much as george best, she would have made the papers more...

hic
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Let no-one be in any doubt
                  George Best was the greatest player
                  of his generation.
                  I remember sitting in the Gallowgate end as a small child
                  watching George Best
                  and being amazed at what he could do
                  with a football.

Comment

George Best was a man with a talent, agreed, who exploited his talent to the best (no pun intended) of his ability.

Yet, how many others out there have done the same ? The unsung heroes who have contributed much, if not more, to our lives, and enriched our existences in ways George Best could only dream of ?

A little sense of proportion please !

GB, I salute you Sir and I respect what you did in your niche field, but let's not lose our sense of gravitas here.

By all means commerate the man, but let's not put him on a pedestal which others more rightly deserve.

He was a Class A footballer. Nothing more, nothing less. Let's remember him for that and that alone.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X