• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "George is almost done"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    George Best was a man with a talent, agreed, who exploited his talent to the best (no pun intended) of his ability.

Yet, how many others out there have done the same ? The unsung heroes who have contributed much, if not more, to our lives, and enriched our existences in ways George Best could only dream of ?

A little sense of proportion please !

GB, I salute you Sir and I respect what you did in your niche field, but let's not lose our sense of gravitas here.

By all means commerate the man, but let's not put him on a pedestal which others more rightly deserve.

He was a Class A footballer. Nothing more, nothing less. Let's remember him for that and that alone.

Leave a comment:

• tonyblair
    replied
    Let no-one be in any doubt
    George Best was the greatest player
    of his generation.
    I remember sitting in the Gallowgate end as a small child
    watching George Best
    and being amazed at what he could do
    with a football.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Ah, if only Mother Theresa has dribbled as much as george best, she would have made the papers more...

hic

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    I count myself lucky as I was privileged enough as an 11-year-old to see the great man in action at the peak of his powers.
    I count myself unlucky - I supported Chelsea as a kid and he kept taking the p1ss out of us.

Great player, interesting character, supposed to be a nice bloke.

Above all though, I hope some prospective p1ss artists learn from what happened to him.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    Alcoholism is a disease like any other. I would say that as some form of compensation for the joy he brought to countless football fans, George deserved every helping hand he was given and then some. I count myself lucky as I was privileged enough as an 11-year-old to see the great man in action at the peak of his powers. Those who attempt to undermine his right to a second chance can count themselves amongst the truly narrow-minded and bitter in our society. Nothing to be proud of when you consider the level of contemporary opposition!

Go with our blessing George, the world is truly a lesser place for your passing!
    Aye SB

True words.

Perhaps you recall the great fashion he set by wearing ones football shirt so it almost obscured your shorts, rather than being sensibly tucked in, as everybody else did at he time.

But boy,could this man play soccer .... rest in peace GB , the final full time whistle has blown.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Alcoholism is a disease like any other. I would say that as some form of compensation for the joy he brought to countless football fans, George deserved every helping hand he was given and then some. I count myself lucky as I was privileged enough as an 11-year-old to see the great man in action at the peak of his powers. Those who attempt to undermine his right to a second chance can count themselves amongst the truly narrow-minded and bitter in our society. Nothing to be proud of when you consider the level of contemporary opposition!

Go with our blessing George, the world is truly a lesser place for your passing!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    There is probably quite a lot of evidence that alcoholism is genetic. raises interesting questions of free will. Did he really have a choice about his actions? His mother died of alcohol related diseases too.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    Where do you get all this stuff (please don't say from your record collection
    :-)
    Aye DG

Record collection , showing your age a tad there eh ?

Nowadays its all CDs or MP4s or whatever new fangled nonsense.

Back on thread , Its adapted from WH Audens Ode to Yeats

If you have little else better to do on a Friday afternoon the full text is here

http://search.able2know.com/About/4033.html

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Nice one Alf

Where do you get all this stuff (please don't say from your record collection
    :-)

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by dazza12
    According to Sky News, he's just died a few minutes ago.

He disappeared in the dead of winter:
    The brooks were frozen, the airports almost deserted

And snow disfigured the public statues;
    The mercury sank in the mouth of the dying day.

What instruments we have agree
    The day of his death was a dark cold day.

Far from his illness
    The wolves ran on through the evergreen forests,
    The peasant river was untempted by the fashionable quays;

By mourning tongues
    The death of the poet was kept from his poems.

But for him it was his last afternoon as himself,
    An afternoon of nurses and rumours;

The provinces of his body revolted,
    The squares of his mind were empty,

Silence invaded the suburbs,
    The current of his feeling failed; he became his admirers.

Now he is scattered among a hundred cities
    And wholly given over to unfamiliar affections,
    To find his happiness in another kind of wood

And be punished under a foreign code of conscience.
    The words of a dead man
    Are modified in the guts of the living.

But in the importance and noise of to-morrow
    When the brokers are roaring like beasts on the floor of the Bourse,

And the poor have the sufferings to which they are fairly accustomed,
    And each in the cell of himself is almost convinced of his freedom,

A few thousand will think of this day
    As one thinks of a day when one did something slightly unusual.

What instruments we have agree
    The day of his death was a dark cold day.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    How can a known alcoholic be the best candidate for a new liver? There are people out there who need transplants due to liver disease while Best went out of his way to destroy his own. The fact that he is well known and high profile will have helped push him up the queue.
    I am sure (though it is my supposition) that the transplants list takes no notice of celebrity and I am sure that it does take notice of personal circumstances when deciding where an organ goes. The choice may have been Best or bin (some would say bin would have been best) rather than Best or second best.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "I dont believe that. The agency responsible for transplants wouldnt do that.
    George was the best candidate for the organ supplied."

How can a known alcoholic be the best candidate for a new liver? There are people out there who need transplants due to liver disease while Best went out of his way to destroy his own. The fact that he is well known and high profile will have helped push him up the queue.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    You sanctimonious twat

If he had been Joe Normal he wouldn't have got the new liver to knacker up in the first place. He has deprived somebody of a perfectly good liver.
    He was given a liver because his doctor decided that he had a chance of living, in just the same way that anyone else would be given the chance.
    As I pointed out in another thread, everyone is going to die anyway so why bother transplanting organs, it's just a waste.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    If he had been Joe Normal he wouldn't have got the new liver to knacker up in the first place. He has deprived somebody of a perfectly good liver.
    I dont believe that. The agency responsible for transplants wouldnt do that.
    George was the best candidate for the organ supplied.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X