• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    What would you need to do in a console that you can't already do in a GUI like Gnome or KDE?

I'll repeat what I asked before, when was the last time you seriously looked at Linux? I'm just hearing the same tired old argument.
    I still can't get Linux to boot on my desktop machine. It's something to do with using RAID. Whenever I search for information, I find instructions involving booting off a CD and then typing a couple of terrifying command lines into a terminal ... sudo this and sudo that. Get one character wrong and if you're lucky it won't work, and if you're unlucky it'll screw up the system so badly that you'll need half a dozen more terrifying command lines to sort it out. However I can't get that far as it still won't boot.

Windows 7 worked first time.

I installed Xubuntu previously, and that required some more terrifying command lines to get simple access to my NAS over my LAN (I read that regular Ubuntu doesn't, but why release an OS that can't do simple networking?). There's an argument for saying that if you just want to use a web browser it'll do everything you want, which it does, except the fonts look naff compared to Windows which means I wouldn't want to use it just for browsing either.

I wanted to like using Linux, I really did. But once I had a Windows 7 install I lost all interest. It just wasn't worth the hassle.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      That's not actually true. Just because the OS is based on Linux doesn't mean it IS Linux... the Mac is better than Linux precisely because they spent so much time making a decent user experience... a concept lost to most Linux users
      b)I already have a Mac, which is a proper GUI for Linux.
      You are completely deluded if you think that OS X is based on Linux.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        What would you need to do in a console that you can't already do in a GUI like Gnome or KDE?

I'll repeat what I asked before, when was the last time you seriously looked at Linux? I'm just hearing the same tired old argument.
        The point is, Linux users tend to like using the console. I never met a Linux person who uses graphical SVN tools for instance.

Why would I want to use Linux with a graphical IDE, when I could use an OS designed to be graphical in the first place? Seems Linux is going against what it's good at just for the sake of getting users.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          It's *nix, or derived from it. Whether Linux or Unix forms the base I don't care. The file system looks like Linux, so does the command line.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The point is, Linux users tend to like using the console. I never met a Linux person who uses graphical SVN tools for instance.

Why would I want to use Linux with a graphical IDE, when I could use an OS designed to be graphical in the first place? Seems Linux is going against what it's good at just for the sake of getting users.
            Amateurs
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I'll let you guys beta test Windows 7 for me.

Let me know in a years time if it still works
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                I thought the OS-X kernel had its origins in the BSD kernel. I think the original multitasking Windows kernel is also based on the BSD kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                  II think the original multitasking Windows kernel is also based on the BSD kernel.
                  No it isn't - maybe that's why it took them so long to get it rgiht

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Windows 98 was a lot better.

HTH
                    Fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                      Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Windows 98SE was as good as it will ever get.

HTH
                      Fixed it for you.
                      Fixed it for you.
                      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                      X