• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Get Action Pack for yer business...
    Why pay them £80 once when you can pay them £200 per year?

Just installed my proper copy on my laptop, and I was slightly suprised that it didn't detect the onboard ATI graphics first time. Windows update sorted it out, but then I had to faff with settings and renabling Aero. A year old Dell laptop is not exactly obscure hardware.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Why pay them £80 once when you can pay them £200 per year?
      Because amongst all the other things (server licenses worth £10k+) they give you a copy of Ultimate, and 10 licenses for a more standard version, plus 10 licenses for Office. If you have a company secretary who wants W7, and more than one PC yourself (say a laptop and a desktop) it very soon becomes cheaper.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
        Shoulda purchased a MAC
        True, they will soon upgrade BootCamp to support W7.

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
        Install Linux, you know it makes sense.
        You Linux guys are dauntless in your optimism. Neither reality nor common sense can deflect you from your belief that Linux is best

Comment

Already does. I have had Windows 7 running on my Mac for at least a month.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
            Already does. I have had Windows 7 running on my Mac for at least a month.

Intel based PC with dual boot to a fancy looking FreeBSD OS

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Intel based PC with dual boot to a fancy looking FreeBSD OS
              That's not actually true. Just because the OS is based on Linux doesn't mean it IS Linux... the Mac is better than Linux precisely because they spent so much time making a decent user experience... a concept lost to most Linux users

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                That's not actually true. Just because the OS is based on Linux doesn't mean it IS Linux... the Mac is better than Linux precisely because they spent so much time making a decent user experience... a concept lost to most Linux users
                I am a Windows user

Comment

You Linux guys are dauntless in your optimism. Neither reality nor common sense can deflect you from your belief that Linux is best
                  Why do you say that? When was the last time you actually took a good look at Linux?
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Why do you say that? When was the last time you actually took a good look at Linux?
                    The core OS, or some graphical interface designed to hide it? I'd have a go on a version with a proper GUI which removes the need to use command consoles... but
                    a)this kind of goes against the principles of most Linux guys, they like it
                    b)I already have a Mac, which is a proper GUI for Linux.

If I liked doing things from a console, I'd like Linux I think - though I already have cygwin if I want that stuff. But I prefer visual environments and not having to compile apps from source code - and if I want to do everything in a visual environment I can't see why I wouldn't use Windows.

Comment

The core OS, or some graphical interface designed to hide it? I'd have a go on a version with a proper GUI which removes the need to use command consoles... but
                      a)this kind of goes against the principles of most Linux guys, they like it
                      b)I already have a Mac, which is a proper GUI for Linux.

If I liked doing things from a console, I'd like Linux I think - though I already have cygwin if I want that stuff. But I prefer visual environments and not having to compile apps from source code - and if I want to do everything in a visual environment I can't see why I wouldn't use Windows.
                      What would you need to do in a console that you can't already do in a GUI like Gnome or KDE?

I'll repeat what I asked before, when was the last time you seriously looked at Linux? I'm just hearing the same tired old argument.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X