• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple mac snob type people.........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Alternatively...

Macs (it's not a TLA, BTW) are for people who want access to the vast body of software available for Unix, full versions of powerful development tools that come free with the OS rather than having to be bought (or "free but limited" versions), powerful and easy-to-use applications that come free with the machine rather than having to be bought, the ability to run that Office junk from Microsoft if they absolutely have to, the ability to run that Windows junk from Microsoft if they absolutely have to... and know something about what they bought.
    Those are not Mac users, those or Unix/Linux users

Comment

Whilst I've got the attention of all you IT folks....

Is there anything reliable I can install on XP that will give me Hot Corners and Expose like functionality?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        What is it with people who think all mac users are snobs?

They are nice shiny things. All proper men like shiny gadgets therefore if you don't like them you are queer.
        I bought my first Mac as a cheap alternative to a VAIO or Thinkpad. At the time I wanted to try something different from Windows, and Linux was still not ready for laptops according to the folks I asked (at least not without mucking around a lot; for home use I simply wanted something which worked out of the box). The fact that it looked nice was a bonus.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Apple has Fans
        Windows has Users

And somehow apple fans think that by making Steve Jobs (and the Apple shareholders) richer they are some how being counter culture and against the corporate machine that is Microsoft
        I really don't get this line about making Steve Jobs richer. How do you think Bill Gates got to be the richest man in the world? As for shareholders, in the mid to late 90s you couldn't level the slightest criticism at Microsoft without someone (usually an AOL user) jumping down your throat claiming you were trying to sabotage his investment

And anyway, who here on CUK buys all their furniture from Ikea, buys a car on price alone, shops exclusively at Aldi and Lidl, and buys all their suits from a discount place? Why should computers be any different?
        Last edited by Sysman; 22 October 2009, 18:05.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Using a MacBook in a coffee shop or trendy bar is better than hanging around the gents toilet at your local park. Allegedly.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Quality thread - haven't laughed so much for ages...

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            They are trying to justify to themselves why they've spent £2000 on a computer that doesn't do much of any use apart from try and look like a gay icon.
            Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Nothing.

Yeah, you're gay. Welcome to the club.

Come out of the closet. It's OK you know. You'll feel better if you do.

Welcome my brother.

BTW, I fraking hate MAC's and the people who love 'em.
            Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            So in conclusion... MACs are for non techy people without a clue who want something shiny

Windows is for those of us who want to get on with work, get the biggest choice of software and know something about what we bought
            Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Using a MacBook in a coffee shop or trendy bar is better than hanging around the gents toilet at your local park. Allegedly.
            Nice one guys
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              I really don't get this line about making Steve Jobs richer. How do you think Bill Gates got to be the richest man in the world?
              you clearly don't get it!

What he is implying is that Apple fans hate Microsoft and put $ signs for the S in the name, as they hate the corporate machine that is MS and the money Gates has made.

But in reality, they (Apple fans) are doing the exact same by extolling the virtues of Apple and lining Jobs' pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                you clearly don't get it!

What he is implying is that Apple fans hate Microsoft and put $ signs for the S in the name, as they hate the corporate machine that is MS and the money Gates has made.

But in reality, they (Apple fans) are doing the exact same by extolling the virtues of Apple and lining Jobs' pockets.
                Surely it's the Linux fans who coin the M$ phrase?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Surely it's the Linux fans who coin the M$ phrase?
                  Actually it was me many years ago on /.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Whilst I've got the attention of all you IT folks....

Is there anything reliable I can install on XP that will give me Hot Corners and Expose like functionality?
                    PLenty of Expose knock offs around for windows but none that you would want to rely on in daily use.

Anthabounce ( used to be Winplosion) is probably the best of the bunch.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post

FFS DP - whats wrong with being gay?
                      Nothing, as long as you don't own a Mac too. That's just camping it up.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X