• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

democracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    You learned your history from hollywood movies and boys own story books as a kid, yes?
    Are you saying Robin Hood wasn't really Errol Flynn in tights?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Are you saying Robin Hood wasn't really Errol Flynn in tights?
      Funny thing about the longbow. In ancient times, all the big and strong were given a sword a spear or a horse. All the weeds were given a sling or a bow.
      In medieval Britain, the rich and powerful barred the serfs from owning swords or armour as a method of self-preservation. But the serfs were required to fight so they became bowmen. What happened next was that all the big and strong serfs became very good bowmen, when this got noticed, it was actively encouraged and the longbow was developed. A new military tactical system was born. These guys trained from an early age , every day and they were lethal. When the armour piercing arrow was developed, even the fully armoured knights were vulnerable.
      A bit like goliath suddenly realising that David was a bit 'ard after all.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Funny thing about the longbow. In ancient times, all the big and strong were given a sword a spear or a horse. All the weeds were given a sling or a bow.
        In medieval Britain, the rich and powerful barred the serfs from owning swords or armour as a method of self-preservation. But the serfs were required to fight so they became bowmen. What happened next was that all the big and strong serfs became very good bowmen, when this got noticed, it was actively encouraged and the longbow was developed. A new military tactical system was born. These guys trained from an early age , every day and they were lethal. When the armour piercing arrow was developed, even the fully armoured knights were vulnerable.
        A bit like goliath suddenly realising that David was a bit 'ard after all.

That's my argument, and that's what caused the bosses in England to treat their guys an awful lot better than the French did with theirs, for example.

Comment

That's my argument, and that's what caused the bosses in England to treat their guys an awful lot better than the French did with theirs, for example.
          of course, but calling it a feudal army is a bit like calling our forces in Afghanistan a 'Globalised-mega-farm-Monsanto-Agri-army'

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            of course, but calling it a feudal army is a bit like calling our forces in Afghanistan a 'Globalised-mega-farm-Monsanto-Agri-army'

I never called it a feudal army.

I was saying the feudal system, as was in England, was more democratic than what we have now.

There again I was reading where a body had been dug up from 4000 BC and it was obvious the guy had been paralysed from the neck down and must have had had really good quality care for at least ten years prior to death. Try that on the NHS with no antibiotics...

Comment

I was saying the feudal system, as was in England, was more democratic than what we have now.
              You're mental.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You're mental.
                Well, they had democratic assemblies and democratic officials, most of which have nowadays been replaced as appointed positions from central government.

So instead of the name calling, please give a counter example.

Comment

You're mental.
                  I think he uses the word feudal when he means something else. Fairness probably.
                  Feudalism is all about who sits on the land, who occupies it.
                  It is all owned by the king, and he lends it out in return for services.
                  The people it is lent to then lend bit out in return for services and so on.

At the bottom are the peasants, some of whom are bound serfs, some of whom are freemen.

None of this has anything to to with bows, democracy or arrows.

one of the services was to sit in the council as a minister

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Well, they had democratic assemblies and democratic officials, most of which have nowadays been replaced as appointed positions from central government.

So instead of the name calling, please give a counter example.
                    I think there's a phrase used for life back then, when you weren't one of the landed gentry: nasty, brutish and short.

Go read some history books instead of posting boys own fantasy bollocks about how medieval England was more democratic then 21st century Britain, or that somehow living in the feudal system was a pleasant experience.

In historical terms, up until the black death wiped out large chunks of the population and created a labour shortage and subsequently handed some power to the hungry masses, life was pretty ****ign miserable.
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I think there's a phrase used for life back then, when you weren't one of the landed gentry: nasty, brutish and short.

Go read some history books instead of posting boys own fantasy bollocks about how medieval England was more democratic then 21st century Britain, or that somehow living in the feudal system was a pleasant experience.

In historical terms, up until the black death wiped out large chunks of the population and created a labour shortage and subsequently handed some power to the hungry masses, life was pretty ****ign miserable.
                      One thing hasn't changed between feudal times and the 21st century though:
                      the fat man who eats all the pies is still the court jester.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X