• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

democracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I think there's a phrase used for life back then, when you weren't one of the landed gentry: nasty, brutish and short..
    Was it though? If you look around graveyards most appear to have lived to a good age. Not as old as now, but still a decent 3 score + 10.

Yes, there was a high childhood death rate, and that pulls the average down, but if you drop that group it doesn't look all that bad, considering they didn't have modern medicines etc..

Anyways, most of that 'nasty, brutish,short' nonsense is down to propaganda against the catholic church by the protestants. It's why they called it the dark ages, as it just wasn't taught in schools.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

threaded, I have never responded to one of your posts before. But I feel compelled.

You've been getting your history from some very strange sources.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        threaded, I have never responded to one of your posts before. But I feel compelled.

You've been getting your history from some very strange sources.
        Don't be shy, give us some data that contradicts my position.

Comment

We look forward to the advert for a replacement to do the job again, properly.

Except the rate will have gone up...
          threaded, I have never responded to one of your posts before.
          Well not since yesterday anyway

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Don't be shy, give us some data that contradicts my position.
            Threaded, I am a trained historian. You are wrong here, it is just plain daft to try to evaluate the standard, quality or longevity of life from a few gravestones that you have seen in a cemetry.

nice though the cemetries are

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Psalms 90:

The days of our years are threescore years and ten;
              and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years,
              yet is their strength labor and sorrow;
              for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
              i.e 70, or 80 if you is lucky. I'm with threaded here, on the longevity issue anyway. No doubt there have been periods when it was much less, but those were probably in more recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Threaded, I am a trained historian. You are wrong here, it is just plain daft to try to evaluate the standard, quality or longevity of life from a few gravestones that you have seen in a cemetry.

You don't understand. The fat one went back to feudal times in his time machine.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  i.e 70, or 80 if you is lucky. I'm with threaded here, on the longevity issue anyway. No doubt there have been periods when it was much less, but those were probably in more recent times.
                  ah the bible.
                  rock solid facts, just when you need them

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Apart from the grave stones, which I used as a way to get you out and just look at things rather than sit back and be spoon fed crap from the TV. You know like a porper historian does, and looks to the sources. I could also say I've read Expectations of Life, H.O. Lancaster, 1990: years 1200-1300 a male could expect to live to be 64.

Go on, try me on another.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      Infant mortality. Child birth. Disease pandemics. Rudimentary healthcare and ignorance on the importance of hygiene meaning even small injury's could be life threatening. Starvation. Access to clean drink water.

That's just a small list off the top of my head. Seriously, you'se are both mental.
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X