• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: democracy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "democracy"

Collapse

• fckvwls
    replied
    Oi! Ferret, did you delete my post?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Go read some history books instead of posting boys own fantasy bollocks about how medieval England was more democratic then 21st century Britain, or that somehow living in the feudal system was a pleasant experience.
    I always found it delightful that the City of London is still (ceremonially) organised in the medieval fashion and that didn't change after 1066 because the City of London told William the Conquerer to **** off*.

Walking around the City today you still come across the plates listing the Alderman and other officers.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...boundaries.htm

*Strictly speaking I believe the City of London told the new King that if he kept his nose out of their business they wouldn't cause any trouble over him being king. Either way, the City of London is not in the Domesday Book.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 23 October 2009, 03:38. Reason: A bit more detail.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    I think there's a phrase used for life back then, when you weren't one of the landed gentry: nasty, brutish and short.
    That phrase was actually used in the seventeenth century by Thomas Hobbes in his book Leviathan to describe what life would be like if humans existed in a state of anarchy and therefore why a government (of some sort) is needed.

He wasn't using it to describe life in the past.

If you want an insight to life in the nineteenth century then I think Dickens is a good place to start because he was concerned about how bad urban life was for people. It was bad.

Hobbes himself lived to the age of 91.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 23 October 2009, 03:14.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It's a new enlightened state beyond senility and approaching godhead.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    PS Good bloke Hoxha. First officially atheist state.
    Going senile, old chap?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    PS Good bloke Hoxha. First officially atheist state.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    It dismays me to read Threaded being mocked - he is without question one of the most valuable contrubutors on this board.

Well certainly one of the largest.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    It dismays me to read Threaded being mocked - he is without question one of the most valuable contributors on this board.

That's it.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    A complete @rse and not for the first time I'd have said.

Unless you can control what citizens are saying and doing and especially what children are taught you can't change a tribal society even in decades. Societies evolve at their own pace and it takes generations.

A Stalin or a Hoxha might have managed it, putting spies in every village, making kids inform on their parents and meting out harsh punishments. It's the only approach that would work.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    snaw's a bit feisty today.

I blame Thatcher.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What are you wittering on about?
    So they lived to 50 or 60 if they were lucky.
    If extremely lucky, some of their children survived.
    Whoopety do dah!

Perhaps you should go on a medieval diet - as they were mostly hungry (if they weren't rich), at least they probably weren't lardy.
    oooooh
    no potatoes = no chips = no fish n chips
    no curry

I dont think I would have lasted

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Whoopety do dah!

Perhaps you should go on a medieval diet - as they were mostly hungry (if they weren't rich), at least they probably weren't lardy.
    That's what I'm saying, that's not nasty, butish or short...

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    OK, another way to tackle the life expectancy myth. If child mortality was so high. and they lived such short lives, then there are simply not enough years between puberty and death for the population to replace itself. So they must have lived longer lives.

Another way to look at it, is that words for grand parents are quite embedded in languages, and are were not used in the past form, but in present forms. So grandparents must have been around commonly.

Go on. I'm enjoying you today.

Really? So say puberty is around 12/13 and life expectancy was around 33, that's 20 years of child bearing years, with no contraception, so even if 20% of your kids die there's a fair chance you'll leave behind more of them than there are of you (Parents) No? Plus men tended to marry more as wives tended to die fairly young.

Actually, as it happens there's a theory that most of us are descended from better off people in the past because they had far higher chances of survival than the poor, and the general rule over time is that generations get poorer, in a primogeniture system, like wot we have.

Not really interested in semantics around the use of the words grandxxx, pointless and really really poor reasoning.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    OK, another way to tackle the life expectancy myth. If child mortality was so high. and they lived such short lives, then there are simply not enough years between puberty and death for the population to replace itself. So they must have lived longer lives.

Another way to look at it, is that words for grand parents are quite embedded in languages, and are were not used in the past form, but in present forms. So grandparents must have been around commonly.

Whoopety do dah!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Show me some proof of the bollocks you're spouting, beyond you doing walkabout in a 13th century burial ground (Yet to answer that one btw) and making some massive assumptions based on the epitaphs and I'll start reasoning with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X