• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crappy websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    secondly why don't people who create new browsers make sure they work with existing websites?
    well, to be fair there are rather a lot of them!

Joel Spolsky's article is still the best I've seen to sum up the browser incompatibility problem:
    http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/03/17.html

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      and that could be reduced to three lines if I cared to do so.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

cheers for all the info

on a different note we are using EPISERVE? for what appear to be hsoting and content management - will this have any impact on different browser compatibility or not at all

and would it have any impact on any other area??

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          IE6 is still a big fat fly in the ointment. It doesn't even nod to web standards and is still around in a lot of corporate environments (because using anything else will break their in-house intranet apps).
          I had that with a previous clientco, starting a decade or more ago. Starting early on in the game, they had a wealth of intranet apps developed to work with Netscape, and installing MSIE was expressly forbidden.

That didn't stop the likes of the BBC (What? Promoting a commercial enterprise with my licence money? Heaven forbid, but that's what they did) insisting that I download MSIE for the "best experience".

When I (repeatedly) told such folks that I wasn't allowed to download and install MSIE they generally resorted to crud like "I wouldn't work for an employer that didn't allow me to run what I want". The really sad thing is that such folks clearly didn't understand what corporate IT is all about and yet they were in positions to spout their propaganda.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Here's the recent stats from a website I babysit (and which gets lots of hits):

Perc. Browser Name Version
            46.00% MSIE 8.0
            37.00% MSIE 7.0
            11.00% MSIE 6.0
            4.00% Safari 4.0.3
            2.00% Firefox 3.5.3

In previous looks at the same data, there's been more FF and less Safari.

EDIT: over 90% for Microsoft - depressing, eh?
            Try these statistics - Firefox 46.6%.

Comment

Been doing a lot of conversion of DHTML interactives to work in Firefox etc recently. Been keeping some notes of the changes needed which might be of interest to somebody:-

http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/temp/firefox%20notes.txt
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Been doing a lot of conversion of DHTML interactives to work in Firefox etc recently. Been keeping some notes of the changes needed which might be of interest to somebody:-

http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/temp/firefox%20notes.txt
                Not sure why you were having problems with line-height in FF.

CSS:
                Code:
                #content {
                    line-height: 2;
                }
                JavaScript:
                Code:
                document.getElementById("content").style.lineHeight = 2;
                Note that line-height doesn't require units, and if you do supply them, it's best to use "em": if a user increases the font-size (either with Ctrl+ or by setting a minimum font-size in their preferences) then a line-height of, say, 12px would remain that size, resulting in lines overlapping. (This is in accordance with the CSS spec and IE will do the same.)
                Last edited by NickFitz; 16 October 2009, 21:20. Reason: Units...

Comment

Dave, have you got to use this company? By now I'd have gone somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Dave, have you got to use this company? By now I'd have gone somewhere else.
                    Sadly yes I do. They are one of our corporate suppliers and I dont have a choice about using them.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Sadly yes I do. They are one of our corporate suppliers and I dont have a choice about using them.
                      Escalate it then. As high as you can go. They should not be taking the pi55 out of a captive market.

Comment

Working...
                      X