• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running results in pain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which brings me on to the subject...

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Pilates?
    I can just picture you - a chubby midlle-aged man going to seed, mincing, poncing and prancing around the gym.

Thanks for the laugh.
    Which brings me on to the subject...

WTF to middle aged men think that when they go running they need to dress up in lycra shorts and skin tight tops?

Do they think it makes them look more sporty? Love handles bulging out of a skin tight lycra tops and wobbly white bellies protruding over lycra shorts.

Just becuase you can do the local half marathon does not mean you look good in lycra, a concept many otherwise intelligent middle age men just dont get.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Fnarr fnarr!!

Seriously, if you need regular massages you are too old. Try walking or swimming instead. Maybe even Pilates.

HTH
      Massage keeps muscles loose, prevents cramping and reduces the likelihood of tears and sprains. Whatever your age. Many top flight sportsmen (most famously a certain Swiss tennis player who has a habit of winning everything) have regular massages. Presumably you think he is too old too?

Congratulations on making yourself look an idiot.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        Massage keeps muscles loose, prevents cramping and reduces the likelihood of tears and sprains. Whatever your age. Many top flight sportsmen (most famously a certain Swiss tennis player who has a habit of winning everything) have regular massages. Presumably you think he is too old too?

Took your time. Waiting for the steam to stop coming out of your ears were you?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Many top sports cars wear through tires every 30 odd miles and get a new engine every week. Doesn't mean thats what I should be doing for my car.

Similarly with sports, if your exercising to a level where you need regular massages then either you're pushing yourself harder than you should or you're at a very good amateur level and need to keep in top shape for competition. Those massages should be complimented with regular trips to the doctor/physio to make sure your body isn't suffering any long term damage from the intensive training.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Any benefits [from massaging] are likely more psychological than physiological.

It might well stimulate a response in an injured area (given that we do naturally rub injured areas), but in some cases doing so can create longer term damage, and get you locked up for 16 weeks. "muscle loosening" is unlikely to be going on. How the flip do you measure "muscle looseness"? That's one for the quackery books

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              How the flip do you measure "muscle looseness"? That's one for the quackery books
              A flexibility test is normally a good indicator...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                A flexibility test is normally a good indicator...
                Hmm, that's true. I was imaging loose muscles. Healthy muscles are taut rather than loose though and the body expends quite a bit of energy, even on inactive muscle, to keep them that way. You need a bit a flexibility in the whole system, but too much is also probably a bad thing, and I doubt massage changes muscle looseness.

Comment

Hmm, that's true. I was imaging loose muscles. Healthy muscle are taut rather than loose though and the body expends quite a bit of energy, even on inactive muscle, to keep them that way. You need a bit a flexibility in the whole system but too much is also probably a bad thing and I doubt massage changes muscle looseness.
                  When I was playing sport every week it was a good way to get the blood flowing around any knocks & knots in the muscles (from poor warm downs & rubbish stretching) and hence reduce recovery time.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Massages are just meant to get rid of the acid after a work out where you have been above your lactic threshold for too long.

Comment

Hmm, that's true. I was imaging loose muscles. Healthy muscles are taut rather than loose though and the body expends quite a bit of energy, even on inactive muscle, to keep them that way. You need a bit a flexibility in the whole system, but too much is also probably a bad thing, and I doubt massage changes muscle looseness.
                      It gives me a hard-on!

Comment

Working...
                      X