• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running results in pain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    If you look further I think you'll find loads of recent papers that suggest running does not damage joints. That was what I discovered last time I looked anyway.
    I think the evidence says it depends on you weight and relative strength of your joints as to what damage you do by lots of running.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      By next week the medical position will be that running is bad for the joints.

The week after, it'll be good for the joints.

Ho hum.
      That's true.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        By next week the medical position will be that running is bad for the joints.

The week after, it'll be good for the joints.

Ho hum.
        Week after is running causes cancer
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Age shouldn't be a factor, running is still a great activity no matter how old you get. Bloke who won the 55+ category in a half marathon I did a few weeks back did it in about 1:24 which is quick. Most of the best runners going around in the races are 40+

Best advice has already been covered here, good shoes - if you're in London go to the Asics shop and they'll do a laser profile of your foot to make sure you get the best shoe. Free if you buy a pair from them, 20 squid if you don't. Make sure you have a good stretch before and after. Last but not least, keep on doing it. I always find I'm terrible on my first run after a break but get better at recovering the more often I do it.

I am in my 20s (barely) though so I might be full of tulip and I might be no good in a couple of years.

Comment

Running doesn't damage the joints: running badly does. If you don't get your knees up so you can properly extend the lower leg and roll your foot through the step, you simply crash down on your heel. That's not how your feet and knees evolved to work.

And as has been said several times, good shoes are a must.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
              only 35
              Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
              You're old
              WHS, grandad.
              I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine. I'll be fine.
              If you give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
                Just started back on the fitness after a 4 month break. Its amazing how difficult it is to get back to how fit you previously were.

Anyway, after a short running session this week, the following day the bases of both my feet were aching so much that i could barely walk. The same goes for the hips feeling extremely tight.ver

Anyone out there know what is wrong?
                Sounds like tight quads/hamstrings/calfs......very easily remedied. Find a decent sports therapist (most decent gyms will have one) and get yourself a massage - you'll be amazed the impact it will have.

I run regularly and am susceptible to back problems. I have a massage once or twice a month and haven't had a problem since.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  I have a massage once or twice a month and haven't had a problem since.
                  Fnarr fnarr!!

Seriously, if you need regular massages you are too old. Try walking or swimming instead. Maybe even Pilates.

HTH
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Maybe even Pilates.

HTH

Pilates?
                    I can just picture you - a chubby midlle-aged man going to seed, mincing, poncing and prancing around the gym.

Thanks for the laugh.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I used to be a whizz at the 400m and the 800m
                      like VERY high standard. Then I slackened off for a year and when I restarted the pain was severe.
                      A friend recommended alcohol to mask the pain and it worked. Ten pints a day and I have never run ever since

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X