• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ICT abuse by Bob Shawadiwadi on R5 Live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I listened to the article and found myself siding with the contractors who couldn't find work because they were always being undercut or the work was being scooped up by teams from indian consultancies not playing ball with our law. I got to thinking about the many indians on my project who seem light on experience, dodge questions about their skillset, live in crowded house shares, never have any money to spend, speak in mother tongue and lunch in packs, rarely mingling, feeling more and more agrieved about how globalisation has dealt us contractors a dud hand until the lightbulb went on in my head - isn't this just how Brit ex-pats operate and are percieved overseas as they hoover up the cash in far flung places? clearly what is sauce for the goose.........

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
      I listened to the article and found myself siding with the contractors who couldn't find work because they were always being undercut or the work was being scooped up by teams from indian consultancies not playing ball with our law. I got to thinking about the many indians on my project who seem light on experience, dodge questions about their skillset, live in crowded house shares, never have any money to spend, speak in mother tongue and lunch in packs, rarely mingling, ...until the lightbulb went on in my head - isn't this just how Brit ex-pats operate and are percieved overseas as they hoover up the cash in far flung places? clearly what is sauce for the goose.........
      No. It isn't how we operate. We operate within the law, live in big apartments/houses and spend lots of money. We may or may not mingle with the locals. We do not undercut the local rates.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I listened to the article and found myself siding with the contractors who couldn't find work because they were always being undercut or the work was being scooped up by teams from indian consultancies not playing ball with our law. I got to thinking about the many indians on my project who seem light on experience, dodge questions about their skillset, live in crowded house shares, never have any money to spend, speak in mother tongue and lunch in packs, rarely mingling, ...until the lightbulb went on in my head - isn't this just how Brit ex-pats operate and are percieved overseas as they hoover up the cash in far flung places? clearly what is sauce for the goose.........
        No. It isn't how we operate or are perceived. We operate within the law, live in big apartments/houses and spend lots of money. We may or may not mingle with the locals. We do not undercut the local rates. Most of the expats I know have loads of experience, and a proven skillset.

What's sauce for the goose, isn't sauce for the sparrow.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

isn't this just how Brit ex-pats operate and are percieved overseas as they hoover up the cash in far flung places? clearly what is sauce for the goose.........
          I'm sure that might be true up to a point but in my own case I spent a few years in Saudi and Dubai back in the nineties & it was definitely not the case there. Over there I was plugging a skills gap as there just weren't the local resources available & never once felt I was stealing somebody's job.

Comment

isn't this just how Brit ex-pats operate and are percieved overseas as they hoover up the cash in far flung places? clearly what is sauce for the goose.........
            I have been contracting on the mainland since 1998 and not once have I been the cheap alternative. I have been told I am the most expensive contractor on site at the moment (not the first time).

The problem in the UK is being driven by the same companies that started the rush to contracting in the first place.
            The big firms are constantly looking for ways to reduce their wages bill and their legal commitments to their employees.
            The favored method at the moment is to start a headlease company abroad, use that company to bid for a UK contract then ICT the staff in.
            The big players got rid of their permie staff years ago, some of them forced their workforce to go contract (which was a win win at the time). As the ICT legislation only stops them from replaceing PERMANENT staff they are at liberty to eject all their contractors.
            No employees = no commitment to: Sick pay, holiday pay, pensions or redundancy.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
            X