• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firing Fellow Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    I want to make sure I am clear

If he stays then I am pretty much guaranteed a job for a long time because before I go he will have to and I am heaps better

On the other hand if a really good developer joined then I might be bottom of the pile.

I am the lead developer by choice - It is not my job remit - I was asked to do it and accepted.
    Irrelevant.

As Menelaus says - if you tell the manager that he's fine and 10 other people tell him he rubbish, you're going to be viewed as having poor judgement.

And I don't like having to carry incompetents.

And a really good developer still wouldn't have what you've got - experience and knowledge to the project.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have been in a similar situation - Clientco asked my opinion of fellow contractor. It was his first contract and he was utter utter shyte. I was honest and his contract was not renewed.
      The fact that client was asking what I thought of this chap was an indication they were not too impressed.
      I don't like contractors who are not up to the job, it paints us all in a bad light.
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If you want to be nice, why not talk to the individual honestly about it? Just because they're a contractor doesn't mean you shouldn't see if there are ways to help them improve their productivity... at least you can see if they know they are failing or are oblivious and could be prodded into action.

You can then tell management 'He's not performing brilliantly but I am discussing with him ways to fix it before recommending more extreme steps'.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

BTW, how bad is 'terrible'? Like he doesn't know how to program, or is just slow?

Comment

Management skills are different to technical skills

Hopefully they are asking you because they value your opinion. I'm assuming you wanted the team leader role?

Either its up front and honest or a test either way you need to give honest feedback.

If you carry him then he will drag you down.

If he is bad and shows no promise can him. If you think he can be salvaged then set a deadline with them & him and work to improve him. Tell them I have just started as his boss I think I can turn him around. At the end of the period re-evaluate and get him to make the decision to go if possible. Remember he is a contractor it goes with the territory.

Success or failure you will be seen as a good manager.

One assumes you will interview his replacement? So you can find one that fits and doesn't have aspirations to become the boss.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You have to be honest : or will backfire on you.

Comment

I thought we had established ages ago that joey was a sockpuppet - a very poor one at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  I thought we had established ages ago that joey was a sockpuppet - a very poor one at that.
                  I was trying to remember... was he the one who got 'raped' by his agent?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I was trying to remember... was he the one who got 'raped' by his agent?
                    Yup.

In one post he was on something like £400 - £500 pd in another he seemed to suggest he was on the dole and wanted to know if he could claim JSA.

Comment

MODS : Please close and/or lock this thread.

We have established that it is by a Sockie Troll, and as such, it is not a valid post, and is wasting people's time in responding to it. It's bogus.
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X