• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Kitchen experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kitchen experience

Right - serious question here.

Looking to have a new kitchen built in a reasonably sized space - approx. 5m x 5m. Have been to Magnet and also had one of those "designers" i.e. salesman come round from Kitchen Italia (.com). Estimates range around the £15k mark all in, for a modern kitchen with central island and appliances.

Having never done a project like this before, I'm not sure what to expect. The price seems reasonable but what concerns me most are the horror stories I read on websites where customers have any number of problems with kitchens or the fitters.

Has anyone here had a good experience WRT buying a new kitchen and would you recommend any particular vendor/fitter or large chain?

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post

Looking to have a new kitchen built in a reasonably sized space - approx. 5m x 5m. Have been to Magnet and also had one of those "designers" i.e. salesman come round from Kitchen Italia (.com). Estimates range around the £15k mark all in, for a modern kitchen with central island and appliances.

Having never done a project like this before, I'm not sure what to expect. The price seems reasonable but what concerns me most are the horror stories I read on websites where customers have any number of problems with kitchens or the fitters.

Has anyone here had a good experience WRT buying a new kitchen and would you recommend any particular vendor/fitter or large chain?
    Magnet are OK, I have put one of theirs in, the fitter will just be subcontracted but you'll be able to chase Magnet I suppose if they make a mess. There is quite a lot of haggle room, I'd defo not accept the initial price. Most kitchens are of pretty similar quality, it's a big step up to one of the flash German jobs. Have you looked in Wickes, theirs are cheap but decent quality. My current kitchen came from Howdens, again haggle hard. Magnet and Howden sell ready assembled carcasses, Wickes and B&Q are self assembly, so more labour needed, but not necessarily any lower quality once assembled.

Comment

You are obviously not married. Homebase would have done me but the wife managed to spend over £25k of our money, stone tiles, solid oak doors, granite worktops, all new matching hidden appliances etc.

How to save money on house maintenance. Get a divorce before getting any quotes.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Seek out a few local Kitchen designers and fitting co's.

We did and got a very nice kitchen for a space approx 10m by 4m.

Quotes ranged from 7k to about 24k, We plumped for one costing about 12k all in.

Its very nice and Im well chuffed.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Seek out a few local Kitchen designers and fitting co's.

We did and got a very nice kitchen for a space approx 10m by 4m.

Quotes ranged from 7k to about 24k, We plumped for one costing about 12k all in.

Its very nice and Im well chuffed.
          Where are you based (PM me if you prefer) - just that it's always much better if I can get a pre-approved fitter!

Comment

£15k seems a lot for that size area. I had same size done last year for £10k all in including top(ish) range Bosch applicances and granite worktops - bought it from Howdens (the ex-kitchen partner of ex-MFI !). Good quality and value, although easy to spend twice as much if you go with say Moben for not much better quality.

Comment

Price sounds about right.

Just had one installed by Magnet and am over the moon with it. Their fitter was absolutely superb. Read all about the horror stories but it couldn't have turned out better. The one good bit of advice I got was to ask the sales bloke which of his fitters he would personally use if he were having his own kitchen done. The guy replied with a name with no hesitation and I have to say he was spot on.

I suppose you could source your own fitter but for the sake of an extra grand or two it would be madness in my opinion.

PM me for store and fitter details if you like.

Comment

I used Wickes in my last house about 2 years ago - good stuff at good prices if you look at the quality beforehand and pick the right things. Good after sales service too - no issue replacing damaged items or excess items. Designer was OK he got a few small things wrong, but then he did the design from my own layout of the walls rather than visiting the premises.

I got a really good local guy to fit it, if you are in North Surrey PM me for details.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

If you want one fitted to your own spec why not use a trading standards approved kitchen fitter

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/...s=25&PostCode=
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    You are obviously not married. Homebase would have done me but the wife managed to spend over £25k of our money, stone tiles, solid oak doors, granite worktops, all new matching hidden appliances etc.

How to save money on house maintenance. Get a divorce before getting any quotes.
                    and what a crock of sh1t they are. We have about 5k wotrh of granite in ours but it chips, you can't put really hot stuff on it (or it might crack - good job it's not in anywhere near a feckin cooker then!!) and you only need somebody to brush past it and it needs polishing. I wish I'd took the cheaper option of solid wood.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X