• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pop & Rock song cliches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop & Rock song cliches

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:35.
    Bwana

Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    Regarding no. 2, do the artists think they are being cultured or classy by doing this? (ie: "look at me, I know some French. Aren't I clever/posh")
    And when you have picked up decent French yourself you realise how rubbish their accents can be.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The key change is The Big One (see Boyzone, Westlife, any X-Factor winner) and is the most annoying.

I'd also like to add the pointless guitar or (for progressive rock bands) drum solo.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Je suis un rock star.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwana View Post
          Regarding no. 2, do the artists think they are being cultured or classy by doing this?
          Yes they do. It is all to do with their pretentious yet slightly insecure personalities.

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            And when you have picked up decent French yourself you realise how rubbish their accents can be.
            I was watching a music programme on TV5 the other day, with French pop artists. They were all singing in French, but with a mid Atalantic American/English accent. I still struggle a lot with spoken French, if it's spoken by the French, but this was quite easy to follow.

As for songs, how many have the third verse in French? I can't think of any.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Je suis un rock star.
              A prime example.

I was watching a music programme on TV5 the other day, with French pop artists. They were all singing in French, but with a mid Atalantic American/English accent. I still struggle a lot with spoken French, if it's spoken by the French, but this was quite easy to follow.
              Were some of them Canadian? One thing I have noticed is that I much prefer French rap to Yank rap, though I'm not sure which are Canadian and which are French.

I must listen to more French music - I've got a boatload of radio and TV channels here and it's hard to choose. French versions of things like Countdown (Des chiffres et des lettres) can be useful learning tools; you know the programme format and can understand the game, and you can see the words in writing and build your vocabulary.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

As for songs, how many have the third verse in French? I can't think of any.
                Ca Plane Pour Moi?

J'taime?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Ca Plane Pour Moi?

J'taime?
                  Oh Plastic Bertrand - loved that record
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment