• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pop & Rock song cliches"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Sunday Girl - Blondie

Others of hers/theirs as well IIRC

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Ca Plane Pour Moi?

J'taime?
    Oh Plastic Bertrand - loved that record

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    As for songs, how many have the third verse in French? I can't think of any.
    Ca Plane Pour Moi?

J'taime?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Je suis un rock star.
    A prime example.

I was watching a music programme on TV5 the other day, with French pop artists. They were all singing in French, but with a mid Atalantic American/English accent. I still struggle a lot with spoken French, if it's spoken by the French, but this was quite easy to follow.
    Were some of them Canadian? One thing I have noticed is that I much prefer French rap to Yank rap, though I'm not sure which are Canadian and which are French.

I must listen to more French music - I've got a boatload of radio and TV channels here and it's hard to choose. French versions of things like Countdown (Des chiffres et des lettres) can be useful learning tools; you know the programme format and can understand the game, and you can see the words in writing and build your vocabulary.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    And when you have picked up decent French yourself you realise how rubbish their accents can be.
    I was watching a music programme on TV5 the other day, with French pop artists. They were all singing in French, but with a mid Atalantic American/English accent. I still struggle a lot with spoken French, if it's spoken by the French, but this was quite easy to follow.

As for songs, how many have the third verse in French? I can't think of any.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    Regarding no. 2, do the artists think they are being cultured or classy by doing this?
    Yes they do. It is all to do with their pretentious yet slightly insecure personalities.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Je suis un rock star.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The key change is The Big One (see Boyzone, Westlife, any X-Factor winner) and is the most annoying.

I'd also like to add the pointless guitar or (for progressive rock bands) drum solo.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    Regarding no. 2, do the artists think they are being cultured or classy by doing this? (ie: "look at me, I know some French. Aren't I clever/posh")
    And when you have picked up decent French yourself you realise how rubbish their accents can be.

Leave a comment:

• Bwana
    started a topic Pop & Rock song cliches

Pop & Rock song cliches

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:35.

Working...
X