• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had good experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Taking this at face value, as based on your previous posts, I don't believe this to be a 'racist' post I'm assuming you are referring to an Indian manager from India NOT a British Indian.
    Clippy raises a good point (ooh-er missus!)

If this guy is British Asian (where "Asian" means "somebody whose line of descent leads back to the Indian subcontinent" and "British" means "British") then he sounds like just another w4nker manager whose racial heritage may have influenced his form of w4nkerdom but isn't what makes him a w4nker.

If he actually is from the Indian subcontinent then you may have to deal with the fact that he has different expectations of how things are done than are the norm here. How you deal with such differing expectations is the question: knuckle under (tiresome), correct him (bound to lead to confrontation), something clever (let us all know what it is).

Whenever you find yourself in a dilemma, it's worth remembering where the word comes from: it's the Classical Greek for "two horns", as in having a bull charging at you and you having to decide which horn you will be impaled upon. The smart ape susses out a way of leaping between the horns, and doesn't get impaled at all

Comment

Worked with, not for, two indian managers (i.e. from india). I found them “switched on” and helpful, maybe because they were from outsourcing companies and keen to deliver – I was representing clientco. Saying that, they did seem to get their subordinates to work hard/long hours.

It also depends if the indian manager has been working in the UK for a while…..if so, he might have got used to the way things are over here….if not, then view it an as opportunity to share ideas and ways of working.

Comment

you are being silly and bloody minded

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
          When working for a Permie manager, the last thing I want this post to be is HR attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is a permie, you see, I worked for a few permie bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an permie manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!
          Fixed some typos and would now wholeheartedly agree.

Comment

Bring a nice shiny chutney spoon, and all will be well

Comment

My first IT job was working for an Indian technical lead. Very pleasant and clever guy - a million miles away from the Bob Shawadiwaddi stereotypes. On the other side of the coin though I worked in a bank in Dubai with a large Indian workforce & really had to watch my back - always somebody trying to stitch you up.

Comment

I'm working for an injun boss he is an excellent manager

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
                  Saying that, they did seem to get their subordinates to work hard/long hours.
                  I think that's just the culture over there, they still have a work ethic as a nation.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
                    When working for an Indian manager, the last thing I want this post to be is racist attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is Indian, you see, I worked for a few Indian bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an Indian manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!

Are you referring to British Indians or Indian Indians? A very big difference.

Generally you will find that British Indians will not have anything good to say about Indian Indians in IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post

Generally you will find that British Indians will not have anything good to say about Indian Indians in IT.
                      Not strictly true.

From the OP's description, you could consider these managers to be like many non-Indian managers that work in IB's in that they will make you work your bollocks off. Its nothing to do with them being from India.

Bear in mind that Indians can be quite direct in their language. Indian languages tend to be less circumlocutive so when the speaker translates their thoughts to English, they can seem quite abrupt.

Comment

Working...
                      X