• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever been Set up ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I bought what I thought was a cheap printer. Turns out it needs 4 separate ink cartridges that run out at different times, and the printer won't function unless every cartridge still contains some ink.
    Same here, the replacement ink costs more than a new printer.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A little off topic but during my younger years, the days of late nighters before travelling back to work digs on a Sunday, I arrived back in Berkshire late on a Sunday night. I was really tired due to few late nights over the weekend. I got off the train and started walking through town to get to my shared house that the company I was working with had put me up in. With heavy bags hanging off me shoulders I came across a scruffy git in the street who seemed pissed but harmless enough. He said "hey mate, have you got 20pence so I can call a taxi, I`m not well and need to get home". So I checked my pockets and found a £1 coin if I remember correctly (it wasn`t 20pence anyway). So I said, "no mate, I`ve only got a quid and you`re not having that". Then I thought and then asked "have you got change". He said "yeah" and rumaged around and gave me 80pence change . I was wondering why he was looking at me strangely. Anyway I took the 80pence and walked off before about 10 mins later I realised.....duhhhhhhh. He needed 20pence to make a phone call but had 80 pence to exchange for my quid

So that was a kind of set up

I`ve done a set up in the workplace before, enabling me to get out of a permie job offer I wasn`t sure about, giving me the chance to laugh my arse off in a meeting with HR when they withdrew the offer ,while later receivng a 20grand pay rise as a contractor due to the whole thing . It`s quite funny watching the expressions on HR droid faces when you suddenly break out laughing during a serious meeting with them - you can see the deep thought on their faces (why is he laughing)
      Last edited by SuperZ; 4 September 2009, 09:18.

Comment

I got done a kipper at one place. Started at one place, where I knew a few of the staff anyhow, got given desk, phone, etc. Whenever I called someone the number wasn't right and I kept on dialling wrong numbers. They even got me with "try my number, xxxx", to which someone random irate person answers, who has obviously been called a few times before. The barstards had re-arranged the keys on the telephone in a manner that you just can't see it.

One of the people there had got married and on his return they fudged the numbers on his phone and when he figured it out then swapped his phone over with the phone on the empty desk - which I ended up occupying shortly after. So they then stitched me up a treat with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          A little off topic but during my younger years, the days of late nighters before travelling back to work digs on a Sunday, I arrived back in Berkshire late on a Sunday night. I was really tired due to few late nights over the weekend. I got off the train and started walking through town to get to my shared house that the company I was working with had put me up in. With heavy bags hanging off me shoulders I came across a scruffy git in the street who seemed pissed but harmless enough. He said "hey mate, have you got 20pence so I can call a taxi, I`m not well and need to get home". So I checked my pockets and found a £1 coin if I remember correctly (it wasn`t 20pence anyway). So I said, "no mate, I`ve only got a quid and you`re not having that". Then I thought and then asked "have you got change". He said "yeah" and rumaged around and gave me 80pence change . I was wondering why he was looking at me strangely. Anyway I took the 80pence and walked off before about 10 mins later I realised.....duhhhhhhh. He needed 20pence to make a phone call but had 80 pence to exchange for my quid
          Ah but you see he knows he made an excellent investment for that 80p for himself in combination with all his homeless mates - in that for the rest of your life you've been so guilty about that incident that you've been giving them money every time you pass a homeless person.

Comment

Story from Chris the cabbie.

Chris used to own a fruit & veg stall. Each week he paid his wholesaler, Harry, for the week's stuff he'd bought. While he did so, he left his long-standing sidekick, Sam, in charge of the stall.

One day Chris returns from paying Harry the wholesaler and sidekick Sam says "I paid Harry the wholesaler". Chris asks for an explanation.

Just before Chris was due back, Some Random Geezer had approached Sam and said:

"Hi, you must be Sam. I'm Harry the wholesaler. Chris just called me. He's been held up and said I should give you the bill for the wholesale."

Some Random geezer then hands over an itemised bill titled "Harry the Wholesaler Ltd" requesting roughly the right amount of money for a week's wholesale.

Sidekick Sam then gives Some Random Geezer the morning's takings (cash) to cover the bill.

Although Chris the cabbie was cross, looking back he says he is very impressed because Some Random Geezer had done a fair bit of research to carry out the scam.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I once once asked to call C Lion at a phone number. But I guessed it was LOndon Zoo.

One bank I worked for got a female intern to call a broker and ask for a quote on a Norweigan diving company called MUF.

Comment

Sitting in a hotel bar with a colleague. After a few jars, we went into the dining room. I started on an anecdote and noticed he was looking at me strangely. "What's the matter," I asked? You told me this story just an hour ago".

Total mental freeze-up, until the bastard started laughing at me...

On another occasion, I arrnaged to meet up with a contractor I used to work with, in a London pub. A certain "MsAngry" from another place was there as well, as she and I worked through the same agency at the time, and there was one of the earliest PCG meeting taking place that evening. Anyway, I digress. Jim arrived with a copy of the Times under his arm. "Hey", I said, "Can I have a look at your paper, I've not done the crossword today". He looked at me sceptically. "You can do the Times crossword?". "Of course I can," I said, "it usually takes me 10-20 minutes, so I'm not that good". "If you can do it in 15 minutes I'll buy a bottle of champagne". "You're on", I said.

So, we sat chatting, drinking our pints, and I'd look at the paper, and fill in the clues, a few at a time. 15 minutes later, I put the completed crossword under his nose. "Champagne time, I think".

What he didn't know was that I was on a govt contract, where we had f.a. to do, and usually spent the morning completing the crossword together... Trouble is, I'm too honest, so let him off the hook went he got up to go to the bar.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I was just wondering if anyone here knows of any cons , or even been set up themselves

yes. At school wee James introduces me to the wonders of masturbation behind the bike shed. It was amazing. 'But be careful he says, you only get a 100 of these' he tells me to count every one. So In my little black book I've got a detailed record.

Years later...

I tell yeh I've never been so frightened in all my life come my 101'st attempt.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    yes. At school wee James introduces me to the wonders of masturbation behind the bike shed. It was amazing. 'But be careful he says, you only get a 100 of these' he tells me to count every one. So In my little black book I've got a detailed record.

Years later...

I tell yeh I've never been so frightened in all my life come my 101'st attempt.
                    Extract from the Diary of Scot...

1) 1983 - cracked one off at the launch of Lisa
                    2) 1984 - cracked one off at the launch of Lisa 2
                    3) 1985 - cracked one off at the launch of Macintoss 128K
                    101) 2009 - cracked one off at the launch of Snow Leopard

Comment

Working...
                    X