• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remembrance Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    No, I think we should round 'em up and shoot them. A bullet is certainly cheaper than keeping them for 90 days. Save lots of expense for the Police as well: if they don't need to investigate then they won't need so much manpower, added advantage could be our taxes are reduced.
    Phoenix, I told you. Now look what you've done.

Comment

2 minutes silence - almost 11AM on 11/11

Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        A bit of decorum gentlemen.

Leave this thread to the honoured dead. Take your arguments elsewhere!
        Agreed
        we should never forget

Comment

Stop showing off Chico. It's possible to observe a silence without shouting about it.

Comment

Originally posted by planetit
            Stop showing off Chico. It's possible to observe a silence without shouting about it.

Not for Chico it isn't, he has to remind us all about how close to God he is... Unfortunately, he's not close enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
              We can always count on an intelligent contribution in any discussion by the lefty God hating brigade. Thanks for valued thoughts ALM. What does ALM stand for by the way? Atheist Lefty Moron - perhaps!!
              Chico, you daft twat, it's not just lefties who are strongly opposed to 90 days internment without charge. I'm somewhere to the (libertarian) right of Ghengis Khan, and not a "God hater"; but I'd be more than happy to bring back the rack and thumbscrew, or modern equivalents, and the noose or worse, for anyone once _convicted_ of terrorist crimes. So please don't suggest I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

Surely you must realize by now that the police and politicians abuse and extend the proper limits of every new power they acquire - Don't you recall some delegate being arrested under the terror laws at the Labour Conference just for being near the venue without his ID?

It's not enough to say the police will use common sense, and the delegate in this example was at no risk of internment - You never know what crazy policies will be in effect in twenty or thirty years, and just the existence of internment powers, the fact that habeas corpus has been breached, would be a danger to us all.

BTW, I don't extend this principle to those who the police have credible evidence are planning attacks with true WMDs, i.e. nukes or biological weapons, because given the likely casualties of such an attack the perp literally places themselves in a de-facto a state of war, and outside the Geneva convention, where the legal niceties don't apply.

(I suppose the 9/11 attacks were in a grey area between, but verging on WMD in practice, and given that insurgents are fighting US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan I don't have too much of a problem with Guantanamo Bay and similar internment centres.)

But a conventional bomb on a bus, even a whole string of them day after day, however devastating for a few and disruptive to all, is not a WMD, and any politician who fails to make that clear distinction is a lying hound, deceitfully trying to blur definitions in classic "1984" style.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X