• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft in web photo racism row

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Why don't we see adverts for skin creme with the women all dressed in burkhas?
    Faceist!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      We had similar a few years back with Ford(?). People want ads that are relevant to their own nation/culture. Ugandans would not expect an ad with white people either. Beats me why people are so stupidly sensitive.
      I don't think this is being overly sensitive. Editing a photo to remove the black guy is like saying "we're happy to endorse your dislike for black people".

I normally dislike the whole PC thing, but this seems to be a case where it's deserved.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        We had similar a few years back with Ford(?). People want ads that are relevant to their own nation/culture. Ugandans would not expect an ad with white people either. Beats me why people are so stupidly sensitive.
        I wouldn't hold Ford up as an example of good practise as the photo was being used in France. France use to have colonies and if you go there you do see non-White people. In fact L'Oreal in France has recently lost a court case over how they recruited people to sell their products as they wouldn't recruit anyone who wasn't White.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Editing a photo to remove the black guy is like saying "we're happy to endorse your dislike for black people".
          Why? If I was marketing in China I would feature Chinese models, Black models for Botswana, etc., They are just trying to click with the locals.
          Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

G Parr wrote : Why? If I was marketing in China I would feature Chinese models, Black models for Botswana, etc., They are just trying to click with the locals.
            Makes sense from a target market perspective.

You sell/appeal to the largest target group.

People "see and imagine themselves" when a model of their race / culture / creed is wearing clothing, for example.

They don't imagine a different species, race, colour or whatever wearing the clothes.

I think it's a non-story, that is being used by some to play the race card again, or just have a pop at MS, or both. These people wouldn't see reason anyway, being the brood of Cyberman.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It isn't anything to do with dislike of black people d000hg, it is just about having an advert we relate to. Adverts are also oriented to the target social class, age etc. You wouldn't aim Rap CD adverts at pensioners.

It is a perfectly natural human thing to empathise/be with people like yourself, everybody does it, it's why migrants always go to where their compatriots are. It is nothing to do with disliking others.

Of course if it's whites doing what everyone does it must be racist.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think it's more to do with the fact that the guy was ugly than black.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I think it's more to do with the fact that the guy was ugly than black.
                  Can't be anything to do with his head apparently not being attached to his shoulders straight, because the replacement guy seems to suffer from the same affliction.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You're right. The original black guy's head looks just as Photoshopped. Maybe it was originally a white guy and they put a black guy in to up the ethnic quota then lost the original.

Perhaps there should be automatic software to do this sort of thing, how hard can it be? I would keep clicking the big tits filter personally.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X