• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent - Rant Corner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent - Rant Corner

All been said before (porridge and oats), but this trend of agents thinking of themselves as consultants really p1sses my goat off. Giving themselves titles such as 'principle' - bugger off, you're a glorified double glazing salesman, not a McKinsey consultant!
    What's that? You are going to attend the meeting with the end client? Great idea, after all you're really part of the solution, aren't you
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

I don't care what an agent calls himself* - he** is either a good agent or a poor agent, and it doesn't usually take long to work out which.

*or herself - the lack of a singular neutor really fecks up the English language. I hate using they or them. I blame the suffragettes. In fact, I'd cheer the King's horse to go back and make sure.

**or she

Comment

Part of the wider phenomenon of celebrity culture. Everyone needs an important job title for instant "respect". Forget about earning your title, reputation and money through craftsmanship, diligence or hard work.

And so the cookie crumbles....
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yup, take your point, and normally I wouldn't care; but it goes deeper than a simple name. It is a certain mindset which sees an agent meddling in the actual solution. I've had agents who insist on attending the interview in which I map out a certain solution for the client, only for the agent to chip in with some dumb suggestions and completely feck it all up.
        "Why yes, Mr Agent, I fully agree with your suggestion to write our new enterprise database in BASIC."
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

remember were it not for lazy HR people there would be no need for the recruitment agent. I've worked in enormous companies with millons of pounds wasted on HR departments who seem to do ... well nothing ..... they just run checks on people and tell them when they are going to be fired or what they do when they are hired .. then you never hear from them again.

HR do not want the responisibility in being involved in the decision for recruiting someone just in case they're a dud or have malicious intent, they let the hiring manager and the recruitment agency take the blame for that .. clever eh ??? and in the mean time the companies waste millions on finders fees and agent markup.

well done HR.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
            Yup, take your point, and normally I wouldn't care; but it goes deeper than a simple name. It is a certain mindset which sees an agent meddling in the actual solution. I've had agents who insist on attending the interview in which I map out a certain solution for the client, only for the agent to chip in with some dumb suggestions and completely feck it all up.
            "Why yes, Mr Agent, I fully agree with your suggestion to write our new enterprise database in BASIC."
            Sorry, now I see what you mean. I've never had an agent accompany me in an interview.

Comment

My wife works for a big company (think household name, 50K+ employees worldwide).

The HR are so incompetent that the board have given the HR duties to another dept.

But still the original HR dept remains, doing, well, nothing.

Amazing but true.

Comment

Agents going with you to interviews/meetings? Christ, never heard that one before. I would just tell him to sod off, in front of the client

Comment

The singular neutor is available in English.
                  Most appropriate to agents:

'It'.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles
                    The singular neutor is available in English.
                    Most appropriate to agents:

'It'.
                    As in "It's spelled neuter."
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X