• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unhijacked Jobstats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Agreed. X1000
    I also agree insofar as threads should be kept on topic. I hate reading the start of a thread and then finding that it has dwindled into someone's personal shot at CUK fame or some vain attempt to offload their lack of intellectual ability onto what should have been a meaningful discussion.

It's fun to have the more amusing meaningless threads too - but don't go wrecking someone else's thread just because you're too thick to think of anything relevant to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Well you grovelling arse licker!

I think that there is one thing having humour on the board GREAT.

There is another thing when the board is completely overrun with drivel and when anyone attempts to ask a reasonable question which might be of interest to contractors they are swamped by the usuable claptrap that we have all seen rolled out thousands of times before.

Perhaps this kind of repitious sabotaging of proper threads should be monitored.

Just a thought
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        These are fine, no problem. Just think posters should have a little respect when someone tries to discuss something serious on here.
        Could you bring the 'Colombian Hostages' thread back that was started by shaunbhoy and went on for ever until you guys nailed it.

Comment

I personally think that serious threads should not descend into gibberish in General.
          Be careful what you wish for. Contracting and its finances is as dull as ditchwater. Everything that needs to be said or can be said does get said every 4 weeks at most.

However, there is one very effective way of moving the gibber away from General. Put the post counts back in Light Relief. Then the focus will move away from General.

Then General can revert to what it was a year or two ago: a very nasty, hostile place full of venom and bile. But, no humour.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

I think that there is one thing having humour on the board GREAT.

There is another thing when the board is completely overrun with drivel and when anyone attempts to ask a reasonable question which might be of interest to contractors they are swamped by the usuable claptrap that we have all seen rolled out thousands of times before.

Perhaps this kind of repitious sabotaging of proper threads should be monitored.

Just a thought
            Wibble
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Be careful what you wish for. Contracting and its finances is as dull as ditchwater. Everything that needs to be said gets said every 4 weeks at most.

However, there is one very effective way of moving the gibber away from General. Put the post counts back in Light Relief. Then the focus will move away from General.

Then General can revert to what it was a year or two ago: a very nasty, hostile place full of venom and bile. But, no humour.
              I'd be Godlike in a flash
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                WHS

Comment

The problem is some people dont know when to stop.
                  The first party in a newbie thread was pant wettingly funny. Subsequent attempts to recapture that are bound to fail, but some will try and repeat the moment in every thread started by a newbie.
                  HAB knows when to ask "those" questions. Others just dont get it right.
                  Some attempts at continuing a theme are tiresome at best.

BUT

You can not ask us to behave in one thread and let us play in another just because you happen to like the originator. How the hell are we supposed to know which ones not to touch?
                  To some of us the sports threads are valid in general, others think they should be in LR. I think the Word Association, Currently Listening and the weather threads should be in LR.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Wha?? Honestly. You're messing with my mind now. How did you do that? I sat there for a full 3 seconds thinking 'I didn't start this thread ' before acknowledging admintrickery. You're definitely buying the beers at the next party now!

So let's discuss here whether we should be posting gibberish in serious threads on general. At times it is amusing, "Do you like gladiator films", "Licking the chutney spoon" etc is all good if you know the place but I would like the main forum to be more welcoming.

I personally think that serious threads should not descend into gibberish in General.
                    Sure - there's a time and place for it. But, as Stu says:
                    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    I think it's impossible to define what a serious thread is.

Swine flu might be very serious to CyberTory, but as a survivor I'm perfectly happy to have a laugh about how deadly it isn't.

I think one of the great things about this forum is the humour, a great deal of which seems to crop up in "serious" threads.
                    The inappropriate humour is one of the reasons (I wager) half of us come here. Sure - it can be trite and takes the biscuit... it's a fine line sometimes and why we have no envy of the moderators' task.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                      Wibble
                      The first person who did that must have been a genius. Or did he steal it off Blackadder as well..
                      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X