• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the septics attacking the NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
    If Obama does nothing else but reform their broken health system then he would have done one of the best things ever for their country.

It was that pr1ck Nixon's brainchild to bring in their current HMO's for the sole purpose to turn a profit on their citizen's health.

Lets make $ out of sick people
    Oh Absolutely..but will it happen. Or will the health lobbies allow it to happen.

HMO's are worse than NHS IMHO. They really do put a value on your body parts and your life. I can recall a program waay back about a young lady who had cancer in her ovaries I think, anyway point is the HMO wouldn't pay to have them removed, so the hospital did it gratis. She way lucky. How many others aren't?

its not correct to say they "don't have access to health care". Anyone who goes to A&E gets served wether they have insurance or not. It costs a fortune however.

I like the NHS, but then I've always lived in countries with public health systems....worse than the NHS as well.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Sarah Palin

I would actually rather listen to a Mullah than her.

I dont think this whole row is about the NHS, its about the truly f u c k e d , secptic healthcare system.

TBH, NHS is not great, but it does go some way to uphold the healthcare being a right and not a priviledge.

A very profound point about America came from , of all places, an Episode of Desparate Housewives where one woman states "We are all only one bad investment or tumour away from the soup kitchen"
      There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        its not correct to say they "don't have access to health care". Anyone who goes to A&E gets served wether they have insurance or not. It costs a fortune however.
        Not exactly true, anyone who goes to A&E (or as they call it ER) will get basic treatment to stabilise them and bring them out of immediate danger (if hospital admits them, which they have been known to wriggle out of, see below), basically the bare minimum, then they will try to ship them to the local community (free) hospital

But as history has shown, if they know the person has no insurance they will try to ship them out before it is safe and if local community hospital cannot take them straight away they have been known to dump drugged up people in the back of cabs with instructions to drop them off a distance from the hospital, especially illegal's as they know they will be highly unlikely to sue (if they live)

There is another rather famous (and true) story about a VERY rich Irish man (worth hundreds of millions) visiting NYC, he went out for a walk from his hotel without his wallet/ID when he collapsed in the street (heart attack), ambulance picked him up and brought him unconscious to nearest hospital.

Hospital refused to admit him as they "decided" he was not serious (just had a heart attack and still unconscious but because his heart is beating again it's not "serious" in their books) and told ambulance to take him to another hospital as without proof of insurance or proof of ability to pay they did not want him. Lucky for him an Irish nurse working there recognised him from the Irish press and put down her credit card to cover the cost of admitting him, which probably saved his life

Earned her the house of dreams bought and paid for as well

Comment

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/i...-200908141981/
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Th

The NHS is a modern day equivalent of the medievil church, a huge bureaucracy gobbling up revenues and talent which could be better used in other ways. It needs some new Henry VIII to come along with the balls and determination to flog the lot, and damn the squeals of the brainwashed gullible public and self-interested parties dragged away from their troughs
            +1

No customer service ethic, not exactly cheap and run by and for Trade Unions. It's the 21st century equivalent of British Leyland.

Privatise the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
              A very profound point about America came from , of all places, an Episode of Desparate Housewives where one woman states "We are all only one bad investment or tumour away from the soup kitchen"
              Indeed, I have a mate in the US who has to fork out for his treatment out of his own pocket. If you think offshoring is hitting you, think about his predicament.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Agree with Moscow Mule that insurance is usually useless. It isn't so much the principle of the NHs that sucks so much as the application. Vastly overpaid doctors, inconsistent policies and too much wastage on managers, non citizens and inessential treatments.

The French/Australian systems would be better whereby essential basic care is free but if you want extra nonsense like cosmetic surgery you pay or use insurance.

Fairly well paid US bloke I knew did not bother with health insurance, it was so expensive he reckoned it was worth the gamble that he did not get ill.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  The French/Australian systems would be better whereby essential basic care is free but if you want extra nonsense like cosmetic surgery you pay or use insurance.
                  It is extremely rare to get cosmetic surgery on the NHS. Ohh, I am sure you can dig up a dozen Daily Mail articles but still very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Fairly well paid US bloke I knew did not bother with health insurance, it was so expensive he reckoned it was worth the gamble that he did not get ill.
                    Well trying to live healthy etc to cut down your chances of getting ill is all and well but there are plenty of other ways that you can and do end up in hospital - accidents (through no fault of your own) for one. It may be ok that kind of attitude when you are younger and healthier but when you get older then that is when you will be seeing the quack a lot more. Lets not forget that there are many people in the US who are old or who have a pre existing condition that are not able to get health insurance because they are high risk - shocking.

Fot me I view health as a basic public service and a human right and should not be used as a money making venture (like in the US) - but that is just me.
                    Last edited by TiroFijo; 14 August 2009, 20:09.

Comment

The NHS has done Moorfield Towers proud over the last few years. I've certainly had my (basic rate) money's worth.

3 offspring via caesarians (2 emergency)

Mother in laws chemo (kept her alive long enough to see offspring)

1 offspring head stitched at A&E

Oh, and 1 vasectomy

Comment

Working...
                      X