• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the septics attacking the NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me the best part was when one of the pressure groups used Stephen Hawking as an example, saying "People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless"

Why did they say this when Stephen Hawking was born in the UK and has lived there virtually all his life... because they thought he was an American because he "speaks" with an American accent.

Stephen Hawking's response when in Washington earlier this week "I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS. I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

Comment

When that little tory git gets some life threatening disease and asks the NHS to cover his bills for his treatment I hope he appreciates what service he gets.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        The NHS has done Moorfield Towers proud over the last few years. I've certainly had my (basic rate) money's worth.

3 offspring via caesarians (2 emergency)

Mother in laws chemo (kept her alive long enough to see offspring)

1 offspring head stitched at A&E

Oh, and 1 vasectomy
        Flip me, they can stitch heads back on in A&E ?!

I take back everything I said - They're bleedin' miracle workers!

(Even the Yanks probably can't do that.)
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Flip me, they can stitch heads back on in A&E ?!

I take back everything I said - They're bleedin' miracle workers!

(Even the Yanks probably can't do that.)

They can but their insurance doesn't cover it!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Health insurance is fine, so long as the company you buy it from is honest. I read earlier today of a woman who had payment for her breast cancer treatment withheld because she failed to disclose dermatitis as a pre-existing condition. By the time she'd argued against the ruling the cancer had become in-operable.

The NHS isn't perfect, but it's better than that.
            Thank you for today's definition of evil.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

In America you pay for your own health cover, in Britain you pay for the health cover of Labour voters.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                In America you pay for your own health cover, in Britain you pay for the health cover of Labour voters.
                As long as you're not sick... Once you get sick you basically can't get health cover.

Progressively over the years, insurance companies (HMO's as they call them) have been finding every trick in the book to get rid of "customers" that have become ill. Most policies include clauses that prevent them being dumped as soon as they get ill, but they are ways and means to get round them.

One once you've lost cover, you have to pay for each and every treatment - and that treatment is hideously expensive.

A one night hospital stay can easily cost as much as a full suite at the Ritz. Here are some sample costs taken from the internet

ER visit - about $300 for basic visit - a few scans/tests needed $3K+
                Hip replacement surgery - $40K
                Heart attack $25K to 'telephone numbers'
                Childbirth (admittedly self inflicted) $10K - (pre-mature birth) $50K

Careful what you wish for. Even a high paid contractor can be bankrupted very, very quickly from medical bills in the US.

Comment

Forget the arsehole politicos. Just look at the cold hard facts.
                  As I have repeatedly said on this forum, the NHS is a millstone hanging on this country's neck which will bankrupt it. We cannnot have the 3rd largest public sector employer in the world (after the Chinese army and Indian railways - organisations that tend to populations of billions!!!) looking after the health needs of a medium sized country.
                  And now that we know our economy is fooked, WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD THE NHS ANY MORE.
                  The reckoning is coming, if we did it now the repercussions would be less, but because no party will touch the NHS, we will keep spending until we are forced to do the inevitable and DISMANTLE THE NHS.

HTH.

Remember you heard it here first.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                    That's a rediculous statement.

I don't vote Labour but I've had treatment for various ailments over the years and a couple of bits of surgery.
                    My 3 sons were born in an NHS hospital and my youngest son would be dead if it hadn't been for an NHS nurse at the scene, NHS paramedics and the NHS A&E and intensive care treatment he had when he was hit by a car. For that matter my sons wouldn't have a mother still alive and healthy without the NHS and long term blood pressure treatment.

The NHS is badly managed, insanely expensive, wasteful and a political plaything (Trusts introduced under the Tories were a huge success weren't they?) but I'd rather have it available than not.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      That's a rediculous statement.

I don't vote Labour but I've had treatment for various ailments over the years and a couple of bits of surgery.
                      My 3 sons were born in an NHS hospital and my youngest son would be dead if it hadn't been for an NHS nurse at the scene, NHS paramedics and the NHS A&E and intensive care treatment he had when he was hit by a car. For that matter my sons wouldn't have a mother still alive and healthy without the NHS and long term blood pressure treatment.

The NHS is badly managed, insanely expensive, wasteful and a political plaything (Trusts introduced under the Tories were a huge success weren't they?) but I'd rather have it available than not.
                      WHS. With Bells on.

In also never ceases to amaze me that I keep being surprised by how dense some/a lot/most (delete as you see fit) Americans are. Some of the "facts" coming from them are wonderful (eg Stephen Hawkin being American and never having lived in the UK because he would never have survived this long with NHS treatment). Priceless.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                      X