• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead end tools and technologies you wished you hadn't bothered with

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mace View Post
    .Net
    Java
    Oracle
    C++
    Prince2
    English

All totally useless in this market
    On the other hand, the things I learned that have been worth most to me are: -

1) Various assemblers:
    You can't really understand how a computer works without be fluent in at least one assembly language.

2) The C language:
    The basis for so many other languages. Small syntax, enormous power.

3) Regular Expressions:
    So useful. Saves so much coding.

What I wish I had never learned:

VB
    Perl

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Yeah, I don't really know why Delphi died. It was like VB but done properly, good for throwing together visual apps IIRC. Showing my age (or lack thereof), the only time I used Delphi was at school.
      Delphi sold off part of the business to codegear who released a 2007 version and a new version is coming out this year

I remember delphi from when I first started working in IT, only seen it at one company and wasn't something that I had to use.

One of their old company blurbs about Delphi made me smile:
      "When you want to speak to (the) Oracle, go to Delphi"
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        .. What I wish I had never learned:

VB
        Perl
        I've been making a pretty good living from perl for several years, so no complaints from me.

Still wondering whether to branch into .Net or Java if perl fades away (which it may do before long).

Java sounds better, if only because Microsoft keeps coming up with new elaborations like Silverlight etc.

I've long since grown out of giving two hoots about the technical advantages of one over another - I'll happily work with a pile of pony, and often have, if it pays the bills. Apart from anything else, even the most elegant language or framework can be debased and misused by thick developers, and it's their systems one must typically deal with.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          EJBs, especially entity beans.

Total waste of space. Still have it on my CV though.
          I'm working on a greenfield EJB project at the moment. Previous 3 gigs were maintaining EJB apps. I love EJBs because so many people could ever get their heads round them. I truly am a EJBmeister

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Originally posted by OwlHoot
            ASN.1
            I remember that. Seemed kind of weird.
            One of my favs, great for all sorts of dodgy reverse engineering tasks. And in forward engineering mode it's part of what I'm doing for a client currently.

Like they say, those that don't know ASN.1 are doomed to re-implement it ... badly.

And on that point there's, dum dum der, believe it or not, even a new mobile XML protocol that is basically a wrapper on a CDATA that contains ... ASN.1. Which makes me laugh no end whenever I think about it.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Borland C++ and the OWL libraries, nicely kept OUT of my CV as to some employers its like I've taken a year out.

Ditto Microsoft Access.

Comment

Motif/X-lib
                Occam
                Coral 66

Spent a fortune on the books and went without pay to do the courses.

Never used them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
                  Motif/X-lib
                  Aargh! Did you know that the X11 server spec never considered running out of resources?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

...and in a non-techie mode...

I consider courses that I did not get a ROI on.

ISO/IEC 20000 Consultant and Internal Auditer.

Not a sniff - no calls for this at all...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

software

the ultimate vaporware : Prince of wales II

Comment

Working...
                      X