• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead end tools and technologies you wished you hadn't bothered with

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    (Borland C++ development kit) As found on the CD on the front of PC Plus in 1998?
    No. I actually bought it, a few years before 1998. God knows why. I think it came in a nice box though.

Comment

Yeah, just about any technology more than a couple of years old.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Yeah, just about any technology more than a couple of years old.
        This is the downside (one of them!) of working in IT: after you've been in it a while, most of your experience is totally worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          This is the downside (one of them!) of working in IT: after you've been in it a while, most of your experience is totally worthless.
          My experience of tolerating numpty users/permies never seems to go to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I wasted a few hundred quid on the Borland C++ development kit and never used it.
            I wasted a few hundred quid on the PSION Organiser developer kit about 12 years ago. The whole thing was a piece of shyte.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Also, I've been at many clients over the years but hardly ever needed to use Unix. But I suppose that just makes me a lightweight contractor.

No its doesnt - Ive used Unix as well - in fact IBMs AIX flavour - if youve worked with one OS youve worked with them all - Unix reminds me of the command style OS interface of the IBM 370 days - so big deal.

I think there are still one or two on here using such antiquated systems .

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

That is why IT is not exactly a 'profession' - contrast this with a lawyer where your expenence enhances your career - I have already seen a couple of technolgy waves come and go and a lot of people 'beached' by those industry changes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  That is why IT is not exactly a 'profession' - contrast this with a lawyer where your expenence enhances your career - I have already seen a couple of technolgy waves come and go and a lot of people 'beached' by those industry changes.
                  "Beached" is one up from "benched"?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    "Beached" is one up from "benched"?
                    Yep.

Or less poetically - on the technologcal scrap-heap.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                      I wasted a few hundred quid on the PSION Organiser developer kit about 12 years ago. The whole thing was a piece of shyte.
                      I don't remember it being so pricey, but Ditto.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X