• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dead end tools and technologies you wished you hadn't bothered with"

Collapse

• sbakoola
    replied
    C++ .... I spent lots of time and effort learning and perfecting it but then investment banking jobs moved to C# and I got put on many "maintenance" roles where all you would learn was a particular end client's API and system with no scope to do something interesting or selling the skills acquired in such an environment, did this for many, many years and regret it now.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Partially correct, only the Antenna assembly was in the nose cone proper, the radar body was in the extended part of the forward fuselage. The LRUs did fit around in a circle but I don't recall them being noticeably bigger or smaller at one end than the other and that's from daily handling of said items.
    Ah, you must be right, I haven't seen one for 25 years, could be just the board shapes then. I mostly worked on the boards outside the assemblies.

Actually, the different sizes could have included the test equipment, which seemed to comprise more boards than in the aircraft.

PS Haven't heard the term LRU for many years.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 21 June 2012, 06:50.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Because the avionic boxes formed a sort of circle around the inside of the nose-cone fuselage, the PCBs in them had to fit into angled bays, i.e. not rectangular, so depending exactly where they went they had some odd angles, mostly just at the top end (away from the connector).

Also, if I recall correctly, because the boxes had to fit inside the nose cone, the boxes were smaller at the front than the back, hence different sized boards.

This was back in the old days, they might have redesigned a lot of it with new DSPs etc since then, which allowed smaller units, which allowed more standard sizes.

Does that sound like gobbledegook?
    Partially correct, only the Antenna assembly was in the nose cone proper, the radar body was in the extended part of the forward fuselage. The LRUs did fit around in a circle but I don't recall them being noticeably bigger or smaller at one end than the other and that's from daily handling of said items.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I´ve never worked in that industry, but Nope.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Correct, what's with the odd shaped PCBs?
    Because the avionic boxes formed a sort of circle around the inside of the nose-cone fuselage, the PCBs in them had to fit into angled bays, i.e. not rectangular, so depending exactly where they went they had some odd angles, mostly just at the top end (away from the connector).

Also, if I recall correctly, because the boxes had to fit inside the nose cone, the boxes were smaller at the front than the back, hence different sized boards.

This was back in the old days, they might have redesigned a lot of it with new DSPs etc since then, which allowed smaller units, which allowed more standard sizes.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    That was Tornado wasn't it? Or 'Airborne Interceptor'. Odd-shaped PCBs to fit in the nose-cone.
    Correct, what's with the odd shaped PCBs?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    .Net ?

Worked with it for a year, but no experience since, and it's still taking up valuable brain cells I could use for something else

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    We always just got a fixed price for the job. Publishers tended to offer a choice of fixed price, or no down payment and royalties later; even with decent ones like Ubisoft, putting in months of work on the off chance of an unspecified sum sometime next year made no sense.
    At Ocean it was all "fixed price" - Btw, Gary Bracey, if you can read this, I just wanted to say "you're a w4nker!".

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Did you get paid a fixed sum or did you get royalties?
    We always just got a fixed price for the job. Publishers tended to offer a choice of fixed price, or no down payment and royalties later; even with decent ones like Ubisoft, putting in months of work on the off chance of an unspecified sum sometime next year made no sense.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Now I think about it, I haven't had much call for my 68000 assembly language skills recently

However I always liked the 68000 so I'm glad I bothered with it
    Did you get paid a fixed sum or did you get royalties?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Worked along side them on the F3 Radar when I was in the mob.
    That was Tornado wasn't it? Or 'Airborne Interceptor'. Odd-shaped PCBs to fit in the nose-cone.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Gibbon - See what I can do sir, could I have your empty fag packet to do my detailed design on?
    Them were the days!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    VAX/VMS
    That kept me going for a good few years in the eighties and was handy when the recession hit in the 90s.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Now I think about it, I haven't had much call for my 68000 assembly language skills recently

However I always liked the 68000 so I'm glad I bothered with it

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Are Ada and Coral still about? We used them for military software back in the 1980s.
    I was still using Ada less than 10 years ago. Not for military purposes though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X