• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dragon's Den

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    ...and I feel sorry for the "angel investors" who will end up getting nowt back
    Well don't. They are so far up their own arses it's unbelieveable. They were really offended they were only being offered 5% by one fella.

Yes they are self made, but they seem to think they are God's when in fact they are just rich throbbers...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

How easy is this Ruby on Rails to learn?
      A week should do it, I learnt the basics using these video tutorials

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=324

The only thing to bare in mind is, on the surface Ruby the language looks very easy to use (and it is) but underneath the hood it's a lot more complicated than C++.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
        A week should do it, I learnt the basics using these video tutorials

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=324

The only thing to bare in mind is, on the surface Ruby the language looks very easy to use (and it is) but underneath the hood it's a lot more complicated than C++.
        I've heard it's very similar to the perl Catalyst module, which is an MVC (model-view-controller) thingie and not that hard to use with a suitable database package and output template (in the case of perl, generally Template Toolkit).
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          Well don't. They are so far up their own arses it's unbelieveable. They were really offended they were only being offered 5% by one fella.

Yes they are self made, but they seem to think they are God's when in fact they are just rich throbbers...
          The angel investors aren't the dragons. They're the people who got the bint the £600K.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The performance of ruby is truly appalling. Far worse than java circa 1999. I think Ruby is one of these fads that will die out soon when people realise how truly crap it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              They were offended he seemed to have been sent with a fixed figure and no room to negotiate. He was the one who came across arrogant, a non-negotiable 5% is like saying "I'm great, I'm the one cutting you a break by letting you invest". The difference he would make to an investing Dragon's wealth is small, but their involvement could be very significant for him.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                The performance of ruby is truly appalling. Far worse than java circa 1999. I think Ruby is one of these fads that will die out soon when people realise how truly crap it is.
                Does it matter? That's a serious question. Something like Facebook/eBay would struggle but what % of web-apps ever come under serious load? Most aren't even aimed at the mass market in the first place.

Java is still slower than writing everything in C... same arguments apply about cost of resources to run the software Vs time needed to write the software.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  The more people who waste their time learning a dead-end technology like RoR the better. Go for it everyone. RoR IS the future of web development.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post

<off to pcworld for new keyboard />
                    <xml-pedant>
                    All very well but if you're going to write joke XML tags please make sure they are legal. Element names can't have spaces. A validator will think "off" is the element name, think "to" is the first attribute, and then complain that it doesn't have a value.
                    </xml-pedant>

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Does it matter? That's a serious question. Something like Facebook/eBay would struggle but what % of web-apps ever come under serious load? Most aren't even aimed at the mass market in the first place.

Java is still slower than writing everything in C... same arguments apply about cost of resources to run the software Vs time needed to write the software.
                      With the JIT compilers Java is just short of C in terms of speed on most functions.

Anyway, I dont know if you have ever used Mingle? It was writtten in RoR and takes up 300 meg on my server even though it only has 3 users and 1 project with about 50 tasks. Pages hang for a few seconds. It struggles at a ball hair above the minimum load never mind serious load.

Comment

Working...
                      X