• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot no A grade innit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I used to watch those OU broadcasts on a Sunday morning
    For some years I watched them simply because I had not gone to bed.

I learned all sorts about the arts, statistical analysis, environmental issues, maths and psychology. I really enjoyed them.

School told me I was useless at art and shouldn't waste any more time with it. The OU explained post-modernism and cubism in a way that I understood; I now have an appreciation for art thanks to the OU.

The OU taught me about building construction, heat efficiency, waste disposal problems and solutions. 20 years later the media and politicians start to catch up.

The OU taught me about the management and financial issues and treatment dilemmas the health service faces. Then the government brought in the health trusts: the opposite of the necessary solution.

The series on art in the 14th century Italy was absolutely fascinating. It was all about physics, construction, materials science and local politics. I would love to go on a 4 week tour of the sites described and explained in that series.

I did make a start on an OU degree, but I was a permie and had been convinced that doing unpaid overtime to impress the management was a far better investment of my time for my career development than mucking about getting a degree.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The OU programmes gave me a mathematician phobia for years. I think I'm getting over it, but Zeity's kipper ties just induced a flashback ...
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        No doubt a few who could get your wife pregnant. Though not sure if that is appropriate for any woman that puts up with you.

Assuming you married a woman you married. Or did you marry your gay lover in a civil ceremony?
        You'll forgive me if I don't take you as the best authority on any marriage-related issues.

PS Irony isn't really your strong point, eh?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Create? She closed down more grammar schools than all Labour governments combined.

Wake up guys. Grammar schools give educational, social, and economic upward ability to some of the lower classes. Major might have approved of that, but Thatcher didn't (her record proves that), and public-schoolboy Cameron doesn't either (he has said so).

While the likes of Cameron don't want some of the lower classes moving up into their group, Labour doesn't want their brighter folk moving up out of theirs: they don't want just a few to join the higher ranks.

Only the Lib Dems are not against grammar schools.

She didn't come to power until 1980, and grammar schools were being made into comprehensives in the mid-70s.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            You'll forgive me if I don't take you as the best authority on any marriage-related issues.
            You're really not happy today, are you? I suspect you are desperately in need of a BJ.

Do yourself a favour and pop out for an hour at lunchtime and see if you can find some relief. (Don't forget to get a receipt.)
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              The OU programmes gave me a mathematician phobia for years. I think I'm getting over it, but Zeity's kipper ties just induced a flashback ...
              Z, m'dear ... don't worry about mathematicaphobia ... it's what I'm here for

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                Z, m'dear ... don't worry about mathematicaphobia ... it's what I'm here for
                Cool. Just don't take any sartorial advice from Zeity.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I've got some novelty cartoon ties in there somewhere too...
                  Phwoar - now you're talking
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    She didn't come to power until 1980, and grammar schools were being made into comprehensives in the mid-70s.
                    That is spectacular ignorance, even by your standards. Say sorry and admit you are wrong.

Comment

Which part of "Thatcher closed Grammar Schools whilst Minister for Education during Ted "Grocer" Heath's Government in the 1970s" did you not understand?

Uppercut and the Cretin is out for the count.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X