• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geography? It's history.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcquiggd
    The road network in the States is astonishingly good. Probably only the autobahns outdo it in terms of feats of engineering and ease of use...
    Thats cos any government that makes them get out of their cars and use public transport, or God forbid, WALK, would be out of office quicker than a Halliburton rep after a federal contract.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Well, I have never learnt to drive.. have visited the States regulalry and once spent 5 months in New Hampshire, and walked / used public transport. They have trams, undergrounds, monorails, taxis, buses, a (few) ordinary trains....

Admittedly people looked at me with a slightly bemused expression when I said im not interested in driving, except in California perhaps.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Well, I have never learnt to drive.. have visited the States regulalry and once spent 5 months in New Hampshire, and walked / used public transport. They have trams, undergrounds, monorails, taxis, buses, a (few) ordinary trains....

Admittedly people looked at me with a slightly bemused expression when I said im not interested in driving, except in California perhaps.
        Never did trus' them new-fangled internal combustion contraptions. Horses is my way to git around.

Comment

Ahhh, now thats because over there you're English and thus by definition eccentric
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

We did used to ham it up having a barbie outside the motel another English friend was working at, listening to the cricket on the world service and pretending to be seriously interested in the shipping forecast, watched by a hushed group of Americans....
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

we were able to travel from Minneapolis, through the northwest to Seattle close to Canada, down the entire east coast to the Mexican border, in two and a bit weeks, stopping for several days in Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego... several thousand miles in total.
              That was exceptionally clever of you mac - I bet it was astonishing as well doing all that.

Especially down the east coast !
              Last edited by BobTheCrate; 8 November 2005, 16:39.

Comment

He meant the East Coast of the Pacific.

I'll...er...get me coat...
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Doh! West coast.... Pacific Highway 101... absolutely stuning. Took a detour to Mt St Helens and also the Avenue of the Giants...

Mate of man loved to drive thank god... he was there for 3 months in total and covered just about every State...
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                  X