• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Geography? It's history."

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Doh! West coast.... Pacific Highway 101... absolutely stuning. Took a detour to Mt St Helens and also the Avenue of the Giants...

Mate of man loved to drive thank god... he was there for 3 months in total and covered just about every State...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    He meant the East Coast of the Pacific.

I'll...er...get me coat...

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    we were able to travel from Minneapolis, through the northwest to Seattle close to Canada, down the entire east coast to the Mexican border, in two and a bit weeks, stopping for several days in Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego... several thousand miles in total.
    That was exceptionally clever of you mac - I bet it was astonishing as well doing all that.

Especially down the east coast !
    Last edited by BobTheCrate; 8 November 2005, 16:39.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    We did used to ham it up having a barbie outside the motel another English friend was working at, listening to the cricket on the world service and pretending to be seriously interested in the shipping forecast, watched by a hushed group of Americans....

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Ahhh, now thats because over there you're English and thus by definition eccentric

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    Well, I have never learnt to drive.. have visited the States regulalry and once spent 5 months in New Hampshire, and walked / used public transport. They have trams, undergrounds, monorails, taxis, buses, a (few) ordinary trains....

Admittedly people looked at me with a slightly bemused expression when I said im not interested in driving, except in California perhaps.
    Never did trus' them new-fangled internal combustion contraptions. Horses is my way to git around.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Well, I have never learnt to drive.. have visited the States regulalry and once spent 5 months in New Hampshire, and walked / used public transport. They have trams, undergrounds, monorails, taxis, buses, a (few) ordinary trains....

Admittedly people looked at me with a slightly bemused expression when I said im not interested in driving, except in California perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    The road network in the States is astonishingly good. Probably only the autobahns outdo it in terms of feats of engineering and ease of use...
    Thats cos any government that makes them get out of their cars and use public transport, or God forbid, WALK, would be out of office quicker than a Halliburton rep after a federal contract.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I did a road trip in the States... we were able to travel from Minneapolis, through the northwest to Seattle close to Canada, down the entire east coast to the Mexican border, in two and a bit weeks, stopping for several days in Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco and San Diego... several thousand miles in total.

The road network in the States is astonishingly good. Probably only the autobahns outdo it in terms of feats of engineering and ease of use... apart from leaving a major city such as San Francisco at rush hour across the Golden Gate it was basically just a steady speed... and even then the traffic never stopped, despite a collision in a central lane.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    100 miles isn't even worth mentioning as a trip or commute and would qualify as "the next town" in a great many places.
    In Belgium you would have passed through at least 20 of those before you even reach the 100 miles...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    It is true about Americans' idea of distance, when I was there we'd sometimes drive farther for lunch that my parents used to take me on holiday. Not that they're alone in their confusion about distance (how many Kiwis have heard "that's near Australia isn't it"?)
    True enough, expat. I think for most Yanks anything up to 100 miles isn't even worth mentioning as a trip or commute and would qualify as "the next town" in a great many places. Here, of course, 100 miles on our congested road system is an enormous challenge to be overcome with a mixture of stoicism and roadrage.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    >how many Kiwis have heard "that's near Australia isn't it"?)

Well it's not near anything else, is it?

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    I remember when I visited that part of the world, the flight from Sidney to Wellington took more than three hours. In three hours, you can fly to Greece or Morocco from London, so really, not close at all.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    how many Kiwis have heard "that's near Australia isn't it"?

It is isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    It seems its not just the Americans who have a few geography problems...

Location Brussels
    Country Canada

Location Netherlands
    Country United Kingdom
    I've always assumed that these jobserve ads were showing the contract's site and the client company's home country. But maybe they're showing something about the agent's mind.

It is true about Americans' idea of distance, when I was there we'd sometimes drive farther for lunch that my parents used to take me on holiday. Not that they're alone in their confusion about distance (how many Kiwis have heard "that's near Australia isn't it"?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X